New member - new owner

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Re: New member - new owner

Post by rbgosling »

On Facebook it's got a bit complex, with three different groups for general chitchat, including one which used to be allied to this forum but is no longer. For my sins I'm a member of all of them, but the Lotus Grand Tourers is the group that is now allied to this forum. There's also a "Lotus Elite/Eclat/Excel parts and cars for sale" group that is worth keeping an eye on.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Green
Year: 1987

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

Thanks RBG - I'm a (silent so far) member of all of the ones you've just mentioned (can't find the lotus excel tourers one actually but perhaps I've missed it).

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

This forum has a search button and very extensive, everything you are likely to know is here and you will get sensible advice. Facebook answers just disappear eventually. I threw off the facebook pages because some of the advice was questionable and I got fed up of people asking questions where the answer was easily found but they couldnt be bothered to look for it. But, each to thier own, it does suit other people. To say that we have so few surviving cars the number of forums/ groups is surprising but I suppose thats because we love our cars.
Bash
Albertross, stormy petrol on a stick etc etc
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

Yeah, FB is ephemeral. So it's fine for ephemeral stuff like scenic photos of your car out on a trip, or proclaiming your glee at acquiring another MOT, or offering stuff for sale or wanting to know where to buy something (except the answer to that is almost always LotusBits / SJ Sportscars / Paul Matty). Anything deeper than that, questions that someone else might benefit from the answers to another day, restoration updates, hints, tips and discoveries, all much better here on the forum.
"Farmer" Richard

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Oi_Oi_Savaloy wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:16
Thanks RBG - I'm a (silent so far) member of all of the ones you've just mentioned (can't find the lotus excel tourers one actually but perhaps I've missed it).
This should work ... https://www.facebook.com/groups/174212968044126

Or search fb for The Lotus Grand Tourers

Cheers, Richard

Ray-s
Regular Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: calypso red
Year: 1988

Post by Ray-s »

Hi Oi I payed £550 for a front end respray but most of my Lacquer peel was on the front and a small amount on the roof.
When I got the car back I was more than pleased I knew where he had sprayed to and had blown in on the doors but could not find it and he had done all the decals which I had left in the car & sprayed the wing mirrors to boot.. :D
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Ray...
Why is there always bits left over ?

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

Thanks everyone for their kind replies and thoughts - truth be told I don't particularly use FB alot but many people do - this forum is clearly where the wealth of knowledge and experience resides. I have to say I'm keen to get stuck in....but there's a certain amount of trepidation too.....!

Excel SA
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White

Post by Excel SA »

Pah trepidation! What's the worst that can happen - your whole car ends up in thousands of bits all of which need something done to them :D . Then it's a case of one thing at a time.....

Oh yes, fiberglass itch is a real thing.

Neil.

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

Ha ha ha! Yes - I shudder at the thought....! And the other thought that as I take something out of the car (the dash or seats immediately spring to mind) it uncovers something I hadn't bargained for. All I want to do is drive it. Do the absolute minimum to ensure it's reliable and as pleasant a place to sit in as possible but then to simply drive it as much as I can. I'm not even bothered about the paint work - it'll all either come off as I drive it or....not. As long as she's (sort of) weather proof but reliable, I'm going to drive her. I'd like to use xmas to get her shipshape and then I'm up to Gloucester/stroud and Chichester early Jan 2022 - that's the first business trip I'm aiming for.

I've just found out that my local MOT test centre was the same place that the current owner (I've not technically bought it yet although I've shaken hands and sent him 10% of the purchase price) took it to too. Which is great as I know that the centre will understand the car and Lotus foibles one hopes......I'm not looking for an easy MOT - I'm just looking for someone that gets the car and understands it etc etc.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Oi_Oi_Savaloy wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 17:20
......I'm not looking for an easy MOT - I'm just looking for someone that gets the car and understands it etc etc.
That's why my MOT'er is 125 miles away. Its a lovely drive out and the Hydrocarbons are sorted by the time I get there :)
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

Oi_Oi_Savaloy wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 17:20
All I want to do is drive it. Do the absolute minimum to ensure it's reliable and as pleasant a place to sit in as possible but then to simply drive it as much as I can.
Good for you! That is very much my philosophy. Although, after a while, you do start to feel the urge to make it better and nicer, but you can always do that as you go along. The only time my car has been laid up for any length of time was when I was rebuilding the engine (fortunately I then lived within cycling distance of my work), at all other times it has been my main, and usually only, car.
"Farmer" Richard

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

Picking the car up on Sunday I hope. Quite nervous showing it on here - although I will - you'll probably be shocked at the state of it. But the carbs have just been ultrasound-cleaned and refurbished etc so that's good. Interior is in a state (and the paintwork needs attention). It's a 20 footer I think! :)

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Mine was a 20 metre car when I bought it!! We still want to see pictures :D

Pete

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

Picking it up next week - sorry for the tardy update - the carbs haven't come back from being refurbished yet. Should be this week and then should be with me on Sunday next week, all being well.

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

So it went quiet on here for various reasons......the carbs hadn't come back before xmas and then when they did the current owner wasn't happy with them so wanted them sorted (or rather wouldn't allow me to pick the car up until he was satisfied, which was very nice of him) and then our youngest daughter had to have her appendix out quite quickly last week which was obviously the priority.......But today is the day. 2pm.

Will post pictures etc once I've got it back home and I've had a chance to get over my excitement!