New member - new owner

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Green
Year: 1987

Re: New member - new owner

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

Lots of technical work done on 'Doug' over the last two days.

Questions for you;

1) Has anyone bought an MG TF radiator - experiences (difficulties experienced I mean)?

2) Waterpumps - do most people rebuild or buy new?

The short update on the Lotus is.....I found a dead (long dead) rodent behind the side passenger side panel (when checking fuses). Various wires have been chewed (but not all the way through).

Before starting on the carbs I thought I'd best look at the fuel pump - dead as disco. So that needs changing (for for an ecco ml12 - whatever the alternative is called).

Wanted to check the radiator fans - one moved very stiffly when hand turning it (had disconnected the power, don't worry). They both work when applying direct power but the circlips and washer look v v rusty so will change them.

The radiator is in a v v poor state - suffered horribly. So am going to buy another - read that perhaps a TF radiator is a good alternative (and price is a proper factor too if I'm honest).

Also been cleaning up the oil cooler and anti roll bar and suspension parts as a I go along. Bought herald top mounts too for when I get around to those. Need bottom ball joints too.

I need to get the passenger seat out (but two nuts and bolts causing me massive grief) - need it out to fix it (fallen bottom I suspect) and so as to contort myself into a position to have a proper look into the passenger footwell. See what's what there.

Also - is there a detailed guide on how to remove the dash's on these? I don't think my heater is working and the leather on the passenger side of the dashboard needs work too.

Thanks - no pictures sadly. Not yet anyway.

Zaphod
Senior Poster
Colour: Blue
Year: 1990

Post by Zaphod »

From experience SU fuel pumps are rarely dead dead.. the contacts are the primary issue with them, then the diaphragm (both cheap and easy to replace), I have heard of the coil failing but never seen one that has.
Of all the things I have lost I think I miss my mind the most...

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1959 Austin Healey Sprite
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

Zaphod - I'll look into the rebuild kit. Just need to go back and remind myself what sort of SU fuel pump it is so I can look up the re-build kit price.

In separate news things are quietly coming together......but money is the stickler at the moment. I need about £800 (4 tyres are part of that £800) and I can't do that all in one go so I've been buying bits over the last 2 months and will continue to do so til I've got all the parts together.

I've been busy on the interior and still continue to be too (got the passenger seat out and then I've got rid of all the nasty, wet underlay.

I'm pretty sure the heating/fans in the interior of the dash need looking at but frankly - I want that MOT so priority is that. Then I can drive it and then I can fix things as we go along (as it were).

I've bought an MG TF radiator (2nd hand but unused) that arrives Weds (for £80). Massive saving over alternatives......if it fits.........I'll let you know how that goes. But if it works - then that's a decent saving over the ebay ones or alternatives. FB mktplace is where I found that.

I've also bought headlight bowls (£15 for the pair for Lucas ones at TractorWorld in Malvern last month) so that's good. Just need to wait to afford the actual lights now.

The big out lay are the waterpump and tyres now. Then it's cosmetics (the alloys need a refurb etc etc amongst other things.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Oi_Oi - I've got an electronic SU petrol pump if you're interested (from my Excel) - works fine and looks like new.

Pete

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

Oh! Forgot to say.......back in the day I loved in-car entertainment (which seems to have lost it's way with modern cars and their android/faceless interfaces). Anyhoo.....I've got a couple of Kenwood amps and wires and I've decided to try and find a top-end head-unit (from either Kenwood-Trio, Alpine or Blaupunkt) to try and complete the appropriate, age-related, look for the car.

I've got some better Focal speakers for the front doors too (which I'll fettle with sound deadening material behind) and I'm going to change the rears too (for the same Focal brand but perhaps a different speaker depending on the aperture) but not for the moment. I'm just going to concentrate on the fronts for the moment.

I've also got a Kenwood Graphic Equaliser (a KGC 4042A for those of you interested - that is technically from 1990's I think - it was part of a new system that was installed in my 205 GTI 1.9 after the previous system was stolen in 1992) that is going to go in the glove box. I'm looking for a small under-seat sub but that might be tight so I'll probably just stick an 8 or 10" sub down the side of the boot (left hand side) to help with the bass element. We'll see how the new front speakers do initially. The Philips radio that came with the car is dead unfortunately. I've kept it however just in case the next owner wants to fiddle with it. Not sure it's the original head unit however.

I'm on the look out for the legendary Alpine 7939 perhaps or the Blaupunkt Gooseneck or the Kenwood KRC 909.

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

Pete Boole wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 09:55
Oi_Oi - I've got an electronic SU petrol pump if you're interested (from my Excel) - works fine and looks like new.

Pete
I've just messaged you Pete

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

Radiator update. So I need a new radiator. Reading around the subject of radiator choices I'd seen that there were 'regular' choices from Lotusbits or SJ sportscars etc or you could go down the ebay route......but either way the options were £240 ish.....and with other commitments going on at the moment....it was just a bit too much for me to afford now (and I really, really want to get driving this.....!).

So I looked around and on another generic Lotus forum (in the excel sub forum area) I'd noticed a snippet of info saying that an MG TF radiator fitted, and had the right inlet/outlet locations too.

So I decided - if I found a TF radiator I'd go for it. And I found a new/unused one on Fb mktplace (actually the only one!) and bought it for a slight discount to the chap's asking price and agreed £110 including P&P (£90 for the radiator, £20 for p&p and his time sending it). It arrived yesterday......and it is identical to the lotus radiator (in terms of width, height, length) and the outlets are spot on (perhaps a couple of mm out but makes no difference) and it's also lighter (but that'll be the aluminium vs iron).

No pictures yet but I'll do so in the next update. Proof will be in the pudding and I'll feedback (good or bad) once the car is up and running. It could be that it doesn't work as well as the OE choices - and if that's the case I'll go OE/ebay known entity......but I was prepared to punt £100 on what is a gamble but time/risk/desire to get on meant go for it!

New radiators for MG TF's look to be about £140 so if this does pan out - useful saving for people.

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

Question on door latches (the bit that has the 3 or 4 screws that goes into the end of the actual door). Did they change much over the life of the Excel? I need a passenger door one and there's one off a 1985 car on ebay. I've an '87. Is there a difference? They look the same but.....just asking here before committing.

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green

Post by AndyC »

This bit (image of SJ Sportscars part https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and- ... 9U0002.htm ) https://www.sjsportscars.com/files/SJ08 ... jpg?mod=86
If so, to the best of my knowledge there was no change through the life of the Excel.

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

Good find with the radiator!

I take it we're talking about this TF:

and not this one:

:lol:
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

AndyC - that's the bit I'm talking about! Thanks

RBG - Ha ha ha! Yes, the newer one! :)

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Oi_Oi_Savaloy wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 07:53
Question on door latches (the bit that has the 3 or 4 screws that goes into the end of the actual door). Did they change much over the life of the Excel? I need a passenger door one and there's one off a 1985 car on ebay. I've an '87. Is there a difference? They look the same but.....just asking here before committing.
Don’t think there were any changes during Excel production.
I can’t remember which way round, either the Allen bolts for the latch or the latch plate are imperial, not metric. Also one of the bolts for the latch is shorter than the others. I found out if you fit the longer bolt where it shouldn’t be it stopped the latch working.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

ISTR that there is also some jiggery-pokery involved with eradicating the lost-motion element of the latch - there is some welding involved.

Pete

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

Door latches are Triumph Dolomite rear door latches. Stu found some for me at a car show viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8359&p=61368&hilit ... tch#p61368
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Oi_Oi_Savaloy wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 07:47
......and it is identical to the lotus radiator (in terms of width, height, length) and the outlets are spot on (perhaps a couple of mm out but makes no difference) and it's also lighter (but that'll be the aluminium vs iron).
I might be looking for a rad soon - so interested in feedback. Also are the top and bottom mounting points in the same place and how the fans fit?