General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

David C
Verified Poster

Post by David C »

Hi All
My names David and I live in North Lincolnshire (Near Scunthorpe) but North Linc's sounds better. I met one of your guys on the stand at the NEC, he owned the burgundy Excel. So after having a 4 car wish list to look at I'm now looking to purchase an Excel. I hope you will help with advice, and point me in the right direction? I have sent an email to Lotus Bits, to help as well. I'm looking to buy as late as possible model, from a member or an enthusiast rather than the usual auction sites.
Does any one have an opinion on the Champagne one for sale on eBay at the moment? Or the ones for sale on Car & Classic?
I think the Lotus will fit nicely in my little collection so far I have a 1962 Sunbeam Alpine, and a 2009 Honda 2000.
Looking forward to your responses, and in the future meeting you.
Regards
David

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: New Member

Post by Pete Boole »

Hi David! Welcome to the forum! Glad Tony persuaded you to buy an Excel - you won't regret it! You're better to phone Lotusbits rather than email - Mike Taylor will be happy to talk to you about your prospective purchase.

Good luck with your search :D

Pete

Ray-s
Regular Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: calypso red
Year: 1988

Post by Ray-s »

Welcome to the forum David ,you can't go wrong with an Excel but there's not a lot out there for sale good luck..
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Ray...
Why is there always bits left over ?

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Great to see you on here David - as Ray has said you may need to be a little patient to find the right one but now we know you’re looking you have more than one pair of eyes out there.

Cheers, Richard

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Hi David welcome.

The champagne one is reasonable looking car from a distance but was high at £13k. I like high prices when selling but low when buying :lol:

It was bought by a dealer from a forum member who is pushing his luck to try and make almost double his money. Not going his way at the moment as he has reduced it by £1000 after no movement in a year.

Does not have leather seats or aircon. I really do like the colour myself and it appears tidy in the photos.

You have plenty of bartering room. Offer him 9k :shock: :shock: and work up :D :D . I would consider it if I was looking.

Last owner only had it for a short 18 months as many seem to swap quickly. Quote below:
SRBrown wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 22:22
Hi all, I have acquired a lovely 1988 Excel SE in Champagne Gold - I thought is was a rare colour but judging by comments in some other threads it seems it is not as rare as I thought! The car is not perfect but is in good shape, well looked after by the last two owners, smooth and precise, no squeaks or clunks, but leaves me a few things for me to do to improve it further. A Leather interior retrim perhaps?
Last comment from me is check out the pedal box. Big feet can be a squeeze.

Stu
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Welcome David. - A wise choice, but I'd second Ray and Richard in saying you may need to be patient for a good one.

Irrespective of age, spec or condition though, if you see one for sale local to you, I'd go and take a look and a drive. It's always good to have some reference points,

Pleased our talk on the stand let you see the light :D :D

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

David C
Verified Poster

Post by David C »

Hi All
Thanks for the welcome and reply’s. I will contact Lotus bits by phone and hopefully be an Excel owner soon.
What’s your comment on this lovely one ?https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1392913
David

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

David C wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 14:42
Hi All
Thanks for the welcome and reply’s. I will contact Lotus bits by phone and hopefully be an Excel owner soon.
What’s your comment on this lovely one ?https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1392913
David
headlining shot at the rear, not full leather, on the high valuation (although good to see value appreciated); no shots of underside, stick to the champagne one - this one is white! :lol: :lol:

shaunw
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit GT3
Colour: CALYPSO

Post by shaunw »

Hi David, welcome to the forum. I second the opinion that if possible you should drive more than one. A decent one should be great to drive, rifle bolt gear change, direct steering, instant throttle response and great handling along with decent ride quality. I've driven 6 Excels in the last few years and the variation in how they drove was staggering. I've had mine ten and half years now having previously owned a very low mileage one about 25 years ago. I've spent nearly all those ten years making my current Excel drive as well as my first one. If you aren't thrilled with how it drives, either plan to spend time and money getting it right or walk away. Get a good one and you will have a car that drives way better and has more exclusivity than anything else this side of 30k. As a bonus the Excel community is full of fantastic, friendly, knowledgable people which for me has made ownership all the more enjoyable.

Good luck
Shaun

David C
Verified Poster

Post by David C »

Hi All
I see that this one is back on sale again it has reduced in price https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115105863884 ... SwcKlhbImX

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

David C wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 21:23
Hi All
I see that this one is back on sale again it has reduced in price https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115105863884 ... SwcKlhbImX
See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12166

still not cleaned the drivers seat :shock:

David C
Verified Poster

Post by David C »

Hi All
If I go to look at a excel, what are the top 10 things I need to ask or look at?

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

David C wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 18:11
Hi All
If I go to look at a excel, what are the top 10 things I need to ask or look at?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9593&p=71891&hilit=guide#p71891

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white

Post by bash »

Spotted this on autotrader, nowt to do with me

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... =relevance

Bash
Ps, Im in doncaster so not far from you.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

bash wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 07:50
Spotted this on autotrader, nowt to do with me

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... =relevance

Bash
Ps, Im in doncaster so not far from you.
Looks a nice car. Love the black leather interior.
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!