Cooling Fan

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Re: Cooling Fan

Post by MetBlue »

Looks like you are making good progress - and it's good news the RH fuse blew when you connected to the LH fan. Definately points to the fans motor having a dead short. Leave it unplugged until you get a replacement.
Coolant level can easily be tested as still working by unplugging the only wire feeding the sender on the tank.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

Sounds like the motor is knackered - this might be helpful

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1960
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

I ran with one fan only for about 10 years when i first fitted my electric water pump because I mounted the EWP where the left fan sits. Pull off the coolant level connector at the tank to see if the Fan warning lights up. Then reconnect to see if the warning light goes out. You can do this with the engine on tickover to simulate low coolant warning when running.
Peter K

MalcolmH
Senior Poster
Colour: Calypso

Post by MalcolmH »

Thanks, Phil :D

And Peter... I've got to say (though slightly off-subject).. your ‘sell their Excel, then regret not having one’ remark was spot-on!!

For me the ‘big Lotuses’, as I call them, are in my blood. And whilst I've missed (and enjoy) the Struggle, for me the racing heritage, Chapman’s genius, the lightness, handling, engineering excellence, etc, etc, are all - in my book - secondary to the aesthetic pull of ‘The Look’. And I know exactly when that began.

In 1978, having moved down to London 3-4 years before, I returned to my North Wales council estate family home on a regular visit to the folks. And parked large as life on a nearby street - where normally all you saw was extremely old motors - was a newish car that, to me, looked like it had been just dropped from another planet. It was a black wedge Lotus Elite, with some kind of crushed-velvet topped dash. I’d never seen anything, in my whole life, so jaw dropping. And to this day, I've no idea whose it was. But my love affair with the louche glamour of these long, low-slung, Espada-like luxury sports tourers started right there & then.

It took till 1984, and much angst & struggle, to get a used Elite of my own. And only 3 months after that to write it off, by ploughing headfirst into a ditch! But that car lit the touchpaper and the Excel, from that point, seemed a natural evolution. Leading to ownership by 1991 of, in succession, an ‘82 Mk1 Excel, ‘86 Excel SE, and ‘86 Esprit S3. Though to be honest, for the 3 years I owned the Esprit - although I'd aspired to it - I always wished I was back in an Excel.

1991 brought a company liquidation & loss of house, followed by nearly 20 years of many lower-value (but still hugely enjoyable) cars of assorted make. By 2008 though, I could resist my long-lost love no longer, and bought - for £2250 - a 21-year-old Excel SA. Followed by, in succession, an ‘85 Excel and ‘91 Excel SE. After selling the SE a few years ago, I've often recounted to friends how it was the right decision, for a load of sound & sensible reasons. But always finished with "So why the hell do I keep looking at them online??!!"

The answer is my heart will always be on that North Wales street in 1978. Though my actual, physical heart (or wallet) couldn't take the stress of keeping an Elite on the road! In truth, I never thought I'd afford an Excel again. But I somehow have, and despite the pandemic, fuel shortage, state of the world, climate change & sparse supermarket shelves - in a small way, I feel order has been restored.
"I never let progress get in the way of my reluctance to change"

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Some uncanny parallels running here Malcolm.

I was born in a council house ..the last of eight kids ... no, we were not a Catholic family, but I married into one, just for fun. My mother was Welsh (South Wales), my dad was randy, and my middle name is Malcolm ..she didn't want me to be a 'PK' because 'PK' made chewing gum at the time (1954) and she thought I might have the 'p' taken out of me at school so she added the M to make me a PMK. My three older brothers did well in life ..one getting an MBE for training business start-ups (only because he ass-licked Lord Young according to another brother) . I ended my working life teaching bioMed at Durham University ... all three kids went to Oxford .. down to my wife, not me I might add. But still a council kid when cornered! Now happily retired.

My first Lotus was a Black Elite 501 bought in 1982 and it's the one I really would like back in my life, but I wrote it off in Leyburn (~1991) overtaking an OAP who decided to turn right straight from the kerbside ..she hadn't seen me.

Funny old life isn't it!
Peter K

MalcolmH
Senior Poster

Post by MalcolmH »

It certainly is, Peter!

And the parallels keep coming... I too was a 1954 baby, and Malcolm (though it's my used name) is actually my middle name!! :shock: Not to mention that we're responsible for killing-off two Elites! Didn't they only make 2,535?

And thanks for tip about coolant indicator. Will try that tomorrow.

AndyD
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1986

Post by AndyD »

And the above in a nutshell is why I still follow this forum, even after selling my Excel.

What great stories, thanks for sharing 👍

Andy

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

MalcolmH wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 20:20
It certainly is, Peter!

And the parallels keep coming... I too was a 1954 baby, and Malcolm (though it's my used name) is actually my middle name!! :shock: Not to mention that we're responsible for killing-off two Elites! Didn't they only make 2,535?

And thanks for tip about coolant indicator. Will try that tomorrow.
Youi can't make this stuff up! :lol:

Good night, brother from another mother. :wink:
Peter K

MalcolmH
Senior Poster

Post by MalcolmH »

You too, Peter.

And Andy... thank you :D . They're great memories to have and revisit. Like you have, no doubt, of your own Excel ownership.

Glad you enjoyed.

MalcolmH
Senior Poster

Post by MalcolmH »

Just to report that between showers today (rain showers, that is - I'm no super-cleanliness freak!) I disconnected the non-working fan & taped-up the connectors, till such time as I get a replacement. As suggested, I disconnected the coolant sender wire to check Fan Fail light came on - it did - then reconnected it and Fan Fail went off.

Using my remaining thimbleful of fuel, I ran the engine till the one working fan kicked-in - which it did. Meaning that once the petrol's back, I can drive round happy that's all working without the annoyance of the Fan Fail continually on. So thanks again.

One thing though - while doing the latter, I noticed a small stream of coolant trickling out of the blanking cap. That's the non-pressurised cap on the front of the twin coolant tanks. Checked levels a while after switching off - front tank was brimming, back one had a few millimetres in. Does this mean I overfilled when topping-up the other day (I hoiked-out about an inch of the depth today, using a rag)? Or that I need a new blanking cap (not much rubber left on its underside) - or something else?

Unusual, I know... doing a job on an Excel and it raises more questions :lol:

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

You need a new front blanking cap. It should seal, so the water moves across into the rear expansion tank as it warms up.
The rear cap has the spring loaded seal, that should open about at 15 Psi allowing any over full water to go down the overflow pipe.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

MalcolmH
Senior Poster

Post by MalcolmH »

Ah - thanks, Tony. Got a growing list of bits I'll need from SJ Sportscars. Will add that to it! :)

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Also worth checking the pipe between the two halves of the coolant tank isn’t blocked.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Alan_M wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 15:03
Also worth checking the pipe between the two halves of the coolant tank isn’t blocked.
Ive had that too. Begger to clear! Needs something stiff and thin to get around the bend. :)
Peter K

MalcolmH
Senior Poster

Post by MalcolmH »

Good tip… thanks, Alan. Have ordered new blanking cap anyway from SJS.

But will definitely check that next half-decent weather day, with coat hanger wire or something. Given I’ve only ever seen a small amount in the expansion tank.