manifold to down pipe nuts

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

andy brad
Junior Poster
Model: excel celebration
Colour: green/black
Year: 1991

manifold to down pipe nuts

Post by andy brad »

Anyone got a plan for getting the 3 down pipe nuts undone from the manifold. mine are cold seized on there. i may have to resort to betting my gas welding torch on them. If i recall they are a bit special

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Re: manifold to down pipe nuts

Post by AndyC »

I've always used Aerotight nuts on there, and yes they can be a right PITA to undo. You're not too far from both the body (fire damage) and the engine (damage to ali casting) so be careful with the gas. I have an electric induction heater kit that's good for such jobs but that might struggle given the access, so maybe just lots of easing oil and get some really good sockets on the job and possibly shear the bolt in the process (not hoping it shears but it would solve the problem).

andy brad
Junior Poster
Model: excel celebration
Colour: green/black
Year: 1991

Re: manifold to down pipe nuts

Post by andy brad »

AndyC wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 15:18
I've always used Aerotight nuts on there, and yes they can be a right PITA to undo. You're not too far from both the body (fire damage) and the engine (damage to ali casting) so be careful with the gas. I have an electric induction heater kit that's good for such jobs but that might struggle given the access, so maybe just lots of easing oil and get some really good sockets on the job and possibly shear the bolt in the process (not hoping it shears but it would solve the problem).
Yes K nuts are on there manifold is ok just want to change the down pipe last thing i want to do is shear off the studs lol manifold change then i have shed enough blood :D yep got six point impact socket on there but it ant arf tight 3 days of release oil good stuff just used it to strip the front suspension from a climax elite which has been off the road for 30 years every one came off. thank you andy