Roaming windscreen wiper!

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

sharrar
Regular Poster

Roaming windscreen wiper!

Post by sharrar »

Hello All,

My 84 Excel wiper is misbehaving currently and not staying on the glass, sometimes straying a good few inches on the bonnet and then when stopping it's rest position is also then wrong too. I'm looking for some advice please. I seem to recall an older thread where someone had the same issue but can't seem to find it!

Previously I've tightened the nut on top under the flip up cover but it's only ever a temporary fix. I wanted to check if I remove this top nut 1) nothing will fall into the dash! and 2) is there a second nut underneath that secures the arm more permanently to the car body?

Fingers crossed for an easy fix :-) :D

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Re: Roaming windscreen wiper!

Post by Alan_M »

Looking at the picture in the parts manual will make it clear, but the nut holding the arm on does only that. If you look there is another larger flat chromed nut that holds the spindle into the bulk head.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

To get the wiper onto the bonnet either the spindle splines have gone and the arm is rotating on the spindle or the wheelbox has damaged teeth. Let us know how you get on!

Pete

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

... or it could just be that the cable linking the motor to the wheelbox has come unscrewed. Happened to me. Still a right PITA to get to the motor to sort it out, so if you're in there anyway I'd advise removing the motor and giving it a good clean, making sure it all looks OK, and fresh grease.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

sharrar
Regular Poster

Post by sharrar »

Thanks for the replies lads, much appreciated. I will take a look later and let you know.

I'm hoping it may just need tighten but if the splines have gone I think I read of someone who regrooved with a dremmel - not sure if that's a common fix for this issue?

Cheers

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue

Post by rbgosling »

I can't see how that would work - if the tops of the splines have work off, they still won't engage with the spline in the wiper arm, just because there are new deeper grooves at the bottom of the spline. Like trying to turn a nut with a spanner that's too big - they're both the right shape, but they still won't engage, 'cos they're not the right size.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

The splines on the spindle sometimes become clogged with aluminium that has sloughed off the wiper arm. You need to look very closely to see this. You can clean the splines out using a very fine, very sharp tool. Do not go anywhere near it with the Dremel!!

Pete

Zaphod
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Blue

Post by Zaphod »

I fixed this on mine by wrapping a small amount of wire wool round the wiper spindle as it was totally smooth and then bolting the wiper down
Of all the things I have lost I think I miss my mind the most...

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1959 Austin Healey Sprite
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

sharrar
Regular Poster

Post by sharrar »

Hi, Just to update and say everything now seems fine with the wiper! It's sweeping across the full windscreen in a way it has never before (not straying anywhere near the body!) and wish I'd looked at this sooner...

I did initially examine the spline and there were bits of debris in there as Pete mentioned. Once cleaned out with a fine blade I wrapped some wire wool strands around the spline also to help matters and tightened the nut (thanks Zaphod). First attempt it barely moved a couple of millimeters - clearly I hadn't tightened the nut enough :? ! Extra tightening and the wiper seems great now. Thanks to all for the pointers.