Peter James Multi Vehicle Insurance

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

barker_001
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1990

Peter James Multi Vehicle Insurance

Post by barker_001 »

Has anyone had a quote for this, or even signed up? They were advertising in the Club Lotus magazine this month offering "dramatically improved rates for 20 to 39 year old vehicles". I phoned them today because my daily driver Mazda insurance is due, with a view to adding the Excel onto the policy next year when it's classic policy expires - my thinking being that if it is less than the cost of the 2 separate policies at the moment, it's a no-brainer. However they seemed quite surprised that I didn't want the Lotus insurance to start straight away too, so have had to go back to the underwriters before quoting. I thought that's how multi car policies worked - you just add on the extra cars as the insurance becomes due... :?:
Bryan

1990 Excel SE

"Look, there's a Ferrari..."

pistolpete
Senior Poster
Colour: Red

Re: Peter James Multi Vehicle Insurance

Post by pistolpete »

I have a multi car insurance with footman james. Its great, but they do want them all starting together, which once you have switched is a lot less hassle. I have saved a lot

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue

Post by rbgosling »

The ones who advertise on the telly (Admiral?) do the add-one-car-at-a-time thing. Looks like they've got the system a bit better sorted, doesn't mean everyone is at their level, and it looks like Peter James haven't got there yet.

Still, it's good that someone out there is offering classic multi-car, it gives us more options than we had before.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

barker_001
Senior Poster
Colour: Calypso Red

Post by barker_001 »

Peter James phoned me back today, quoted £531 for my Mazda 3 and Lotus - of which £471 was attributable to the Mazda! :shock: About 3 times what I'm paying now via confused.com for a separate policy.

So I've gone with separate policies again, which in total are still about £200 cheaper than Peter James. I like the idea of a combined modern + classic policy, but they're going to have to do better than that!
Bryan

1990 Excel SE

"Look, there's a Ferrari..."

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

barker_001 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 18:45
Peter James phoned me back today, quoted £531 for my Mazda 3 and Lotus - of which £471 was attributable to the Mazda! :shock: About 3 times what I'm paying now via confused.com for a separate policy.

So I've gone with separate policies again, which in total are still about £200 cheaper than Peter James. I like the idea of a combined modern + classic policy, but they're going to have to do better than that!
This is what I've found recently having contacted a number of brokers earlier this year, including FJ.

For many years I had 4 vehicles on one multicar policy with FJ for around £460, the newest vehicle being an '03 Smart Roadster. Then one year (about 5 years ago) FJ was absorbed by a multi-national (AXIA?) and consequently quoted me a silly renewal around £600+ for the four, so I transfered to Peter James (who had set-up as a solo broker) and got the same (old FJ) £460-ish policy for the four. Then a couple of years ago PJ's renewals went into £600+ for the 4 cars so I dropped the SMart (the most modern) as I was doing an engine rebuild on it anyhow and the 3 remaining cars (Lotus, Clan + VW camper) came in around £360 for the three. Fast forward and the SMART roadster is back on the road (spring 2021) so I asked PJ to add the SMART roadster back into the multicar policy only to be quoted an extra £280 (making £640 total). The '03 SMART was now classed by PJ as too modern for a Classic car multicar policy, so I looked elsewhere on-line (Sterling Insurance) for a individulal policy for the SMART which came in at £170!).

During this process I learned that policy bolt-on cost details matter. For example recovery fees for each vehicile was bespoke and cummulative. The most costly recovery fee being the VW camper (£80-ish and the least costly the CLan (£40-ish). The total recovery bill for all 4 was much more expensive than a driver-specific-any-car recovery subscription (ie the driver, not the car, is covered) from the likes of AA, RAC or others. The devil is in the detail and multi-car policies are not what they used to be!! Sharp practice at least, but smells like mafia-stye extortion to me! :(
Peter K

Gracie
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SA
Colour: Green
Year: 1987

Post by Gracie »

Having looked at multicar, I prefer to insure each car individually with agreed values to match. Having made a claom a few years ago, it was invaluable! As for breakdown cover I've got a policy that covers me, not the cars, so whatever car I'm in I'm covered