Technical Writeups Lotus Esprit World

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Technical Writeups Lotus Esprit World

Post by DavidOliver »

At the risk of teaching sucking eggs, I have just come across Lotus Esprit World.com looking for information
on boost pressure for Turbo installations.
As Excel owners we may wonder why there are apparently no Turbo applications to increase Power (and Torque). The Esprit version
with the turbo located behind the cam carriers is an obvious no-go for an Excel.
Besides the Turbo aspects, I found very clear write-ups on Lubrication and Car Jacking points. As the Esprit shares many
similarities with the Excel (and Elite etc.) a lot of the articles are very interesting.

Dave the cog

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Re: Technical Writeups Lotus Esprit World

Post by AndyC »

I have one of the allegedly prototype manifolds for a Turbo Excel.
The short version is allegedly, at the time they started to get decent performance out of the Esprits with turbos (so when fuel injection and ECUs took over), the Excel was in terminal decline in terms of sales, so the idea of a Turbo Excel fell out of favour.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

AndyC wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 14:07
I have one of the allegedly prototype manifolds for a Turbo Excel.
I've never heard of this. What's the long version?
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

jonno
Regular Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Steel Blue
Year: 1990

Post by jonno »

PNM engineering developed a turbo solution for the excel. I remember seeing the prototype at Donnington in the 90's I think. Dont know if they sold any to customers though.
John,
Lotus Excel 1990, Steel Blue
Lotus Elan S2 1995, Blue

Esprit2
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Esprit2 »

Andy,

How about posting a photo... or a link to a photo of the manifold.

Is it anything like the manifold used on the Brazilian Emme 422T ? It was a front engine, rear drive, 4-seat sedan that used the Lotus 910S engine. The special manifold placed the turbo down low, toward the front of the engine. Unfortunately only about 12 were built before the company went out of business.

https://www.supercars.net/blog/1998-emme-lotus-422t/
One of the photos on that site is of the left-front corner of the engine bay. The exposed tube is the 'boost pipe' that goes from the turbo down below to the plenum in the usual place.

Regards,
Tim Engel

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

264BHP impressive....
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

Now that Tim has joined this chat I ask him if he has heard of 12v variable speed electric motors to drive a fan at 5000 rpm for example
and without heat have a controlled boost in the Esprit Turbo range, no doubt with injection and fuel mapping.
This would also reduce overboost dangers. Blowers as in mechanical compressors are an invention when variable speed electric motors
had not been invented.
As the 9XX engine is small we have low(ish) volume and no need for high boost, we are only fighting the constraint of Atmospheric pressure.
Some model aircraft now carry electric motors with quite low electrical power needs.
We already have the Lotus development of cams and fuel for the Turbo, just repeat the boost with an electrical motor.

Any knowledge of such developments?

Dave the cog.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white

Post by bash »

I dont think this is likely to be cheap.
Bash
https://www.garrettmotion.com/electric- ... gsQAvD_BwE
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Interesting topic! I'm expecting my Eaton blower to use about 12 - 15 bhp to produce up to 7 psi. Lets say about 10,000 Watts. 10,000 watts divided 12 volts = 833 Amps - about the same as starting the car - continuously! :shock:.
I know an Eaton is not very efficient, but still... gives an idea of the challenge.

Pete

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Post by AndyC »

Esprit2 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 22:40
Andy,

How about posting a photo... or a link to a photo of the manifold.

Is it anything like the manifold used on the Brazilian Emme 422T ? It was a front engine, rear drive, 4-seat sedan that used the Lotus 910S engine. The special manifold placed the turbo down low, toward the front of the engine. Unfortunately only about 12 were built before the company went out of business.

https://www.supercars.net/blog/1998-emme-lotus-422t/
One of the photos on that site is of the left-front corner of the engine bay. The exposed tube is the 'boost pipe' that goes from the turbo down below to the plenum in the usual place.

Regards,
Tim Engel
I will look to get a photo but I'm currently burrowing towards the right area of the garage (the garage has had a shed's worth of stuff plus a garage's worth in it for a couple of years). I've just had a week off and been attempting to sort stuff, it's still only 75% done, so now that I'll be back at work next week it may take a while to get that last 25% done.

I think the manifold did put the turbo at the front, like that Emme.