excel newbie

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Ric T
Verified Poster

excel newbie

Post by Ric T »

Hi All
Now proud owner of an 84 Excel (x Andy Rowland)
I know I will be using this forum for all the help I can get as A) I am to mechanics what Cyril Smith was to hangliding and (B) Most of you guys are die hard Lotus people who have solved the problems before, or know someone who can!
Ric

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Re: excel newbie

Post by rbgosling »

Welcome Ric!

Enjoy your new car, and we'll be happy to help you along the way in the (most unlikely!) situation that it develops a problem.

Whereabouts are you, wonder if you're near any of our regular members?
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

Ric T
Verified Poster

Post by Ric T »

Situated in the leafy Chiltern Hills Richard just outside Thame .
Already want to ask a question... I need to replace windscreen wiper arm (turns out it isnt the motor thank goodness) any ideas on whether it is a generic part or just Lotus ?
Thanks in anticipation
Ric

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Hi Ric, welcome on board!

Check with Lotusbits and SJ Sports Cars for the wiper arm. I believe someone did once suggest that one of the arms off a Peugeot 405 would fit but it was a while ago, even assuming you could still find one! Best to try refurbishing yours if it’s not too far gone.

Cheers, Richard

Ric T
Verified Poster

Post by Ric T »

Thankyou!. Might even have one of those in a shed somewhere .My late father had a 405.(or was it a 504 hmmm ) he never threw anything away ... just in case.
I will investigate .Since buying the Excel last month I have replaced the battery ,fixed the door latch passenger side ,replaced the TOYO tyres and reregistered it under the plate B10 EXC .
Have now done 1300 miles in her around the local area and im amazed at how well she handles .
Look forward to meeting some other Lotus nuts in the future if there are any meets or events within 150 miles of Thame (Oxfordshire) .
Thanks Richard

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Welcome Ric.
There's a lot of valuable info and knowledgeable people on the forum. Most things have been done by members at some time.
You're in a good location there for local meet ups at reasonable driving distance.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue

Post by rbgosling »

Yeah, I've used a Peugeot 405 wiper arm. Fits really easily, and I actually prefer it - it's got a kink in it so the wiper sits more neatly when parked, and it's MUCH easier to get replacement blades when you need one, including modern-style "aero" blades.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

pistolpete
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Red

Post by pistolpete »

Hi
Welcome to the forum and sounds like your a neighbour too, as I'm also in the Chilterns , well nearly and a few miles from Thame, so if you want to piont at stuff that's not working I could pop over

pete

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Ric T wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 13:39
Have now done 1300 miles in her around the local area and im amazed at how well she handles .
That’s why we love ‘em!

Richard

ChrisJ
Senior Poster
Colour: White
Year: 1989

Post by ChrisJ »

Ric T wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 13:39
Look forward to meeting some other Lotus nuts in the future if there are any meets or events within 150 miles of Thame (Oxfordshire) .
You did say 150 miles. There's a breakfast this Sunday at North Weald airfield - see the end of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11313

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Hi Ric - welcome! Have you worked out how to post photos yet?! We like photos :D

Pete

Ric T
Verified Poster

Post by Ric T »

Wow,what a great bunch of people. So many things to reply to
Firstly thankyou for all the wiper arm info ,got hold of Lotus bits and the good people there are sending me out an arm and a genuine Lotus blade ,so that's one more little job off the list. Pistol Pete you are near Thame ,my company is in Kingsey,(Signart Sign Studios), and I live in Bledlow Ridge. What Lotus have you?
Pete B ,no I haven't looked at posting piccies yet ,but I will when i get a spare minute or three.
Chris J ty for the breakfast event heads up ,but with the rain that's forecast... and no wiper hmmm ,will see if its on and working by then.
ty also for the welcomes from Tony and the many Richards, RGB and anyone else i have missed out.

Ray-s
Regular Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: calypso red
Year: 1988

Post by Ray-s »

Hi Ric and welcome to the forum as said snaps would be good .... :D
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Ray...
Why is there always bits left over ?

ChrisJ
Senior Poster
Colour: White
Year: 1989

Post by ChrisJ »

Ric T wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 17:33
Chris J ty for the breakfast event heads up ,but with the rain that's forecast... and no wiper hmmm ,will see if its on and working by then.
Although it's always nice to turn up in a Lotus, you don't have to - there's at least one Lotusless member coming who is currently looking for an Esprit, and an Excel owner who's car has been off the road for a year, not sure if it's MOT'd yet and will be there. If it's raining I'll go in my Excel, otherwise I'll be in my Esprit.

NigelD
Junior Poster
Model: SA
Colour: Mediterranean Blue
Year: 1987

Post by NigelD »

Welcome Ric!

I am in Holmer Green, trying to respray my Excel at the moment, so quite close to you.

Willing to help, but I do not have great knowledge and everything I do know has pretty much come from this forum! 👍🙂
Elan S4 DHC 1970
ELan +2S 130 1973
Elan +2s 130/5 1973 (Project)
Skoda vrs