Dampers

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

pistolpete
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1990

Dampers

Post by pistolpete »

So what’s the difference between standard dampers and coil overs ? Is it just adjustment , ride height etc and can you really tell the difference on the road. I assume some of the aftermarket units are just dampers

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Re: Dampers

Post by richardw »

Coilovers are narrower than standard springs (something like 2.5”) and feel harsher than the standard set up although the car feels pin sharp, almost like a go kart. As the springs are smaller they have a higher frequency which leads to a feeling of greater harshness; also they don’t have the compliant rubber spring seats of the standard suspension. It may also be that the dampers have harder poly bushes than the standard rubber ones. The Excel was engineered to have a comfortable compliant ride with superb handling, but not to be a track car. Much of this feeling is due to the way rubber mountings and bushes are used.

As you say coilovers are height adjustable and dampers can be adjusted. The standard suspension can’t be adjusted, unless you use aftermarket dampers like Protechs.

I have had both coilovers and the standard suspension on my Elite bodied Excel and I much prefer the standard setup for the driving I do.

Cheers, Richard

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

A little common misunderstanding .

The standard suspension is a coil over i.e a coil spring over the damper.

The standard set up is fixed in height and action.

Adjustable coil overs can be height and action adjusted.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue

Post by rbgosling »

"Coil overs" is frequently used to mean a setup where the coil seats are directly attached to the damper, so the damper and spring comprise a single standalone assembly. The standard set-up on our car has coil seats mounted to the chassis and suspension arms, rather than the damper.

Standard setup:

Coilovers as supplied by Lotusbits - note the bottom of the spring is retained by an adjustable collar on the damper, rather than seating on the suspension arm:
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

The significant difference is aftermarket coilovers have small OD springs pre-loaded to the damper. This means the damper rod top mount becomes the only chassis location point, and not the spring. OE springs have a larger OD and are rubber mounted to the chassis. Which means less chassis location stress and a better ride than after market coilovers.

Edit : Richard beat me to it! doh!
Peter K

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white

Post by bash »

I noticed that mike taylor is doing standard spec new dampers. That would be my choice every time going on the theory that Lotus really knows what they are good at. It took me 2 years to track down some new old stock standard dampers, its great that they can now be bought new.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

pistolpete
Senior Poster

Post by pistolpete »

Its difficult because on one hand I have a track day set up coil over car( previous owner) which is not uncomfortable at all. But as soon as I have 3 passengers in the car , the set up is a waste of time. Also as you say if Lotus did it , it must be great but that was also 40 years a go, I am very temped to go back to the real thing if you say there available, but maybe we can also look at the handling at Castle combe....

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white

Post by bash »

What an excel can do on track is very different to what they do on the road. I would like to take my car on track but Im too tall. When I wear a helmet I have to recline the seat so far back that I cant reach the steering wheel so let me know what you think.
The last time I took my MX5 on track (roof off) I was amazed that a jag diesel was keeping up with me on the twisty bits....until I realised that it was the electronics that were enabling it. The question is, which was better to drive on the road afterwards, thats where a cars handling is more important.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

pistolpete
Senior Poster

Post by pistolpete »

It was more to be able to drive around a track watching a few other excels at the same time. Since I have never even seen an excel from a protestive of following in anther car. I'm sure that all the extra set up and adjustable coil overs will make so little difference, it will be worth the extra comfort and refinement on the road for the normal shocks

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Definitely go for comfort. On track - even with the Protech dampers wound up fully "hard" they were hopeless on the track - not because they are poor dampers - just that the suspension needs to be seriously firm to perform adequately on track.

Pete