1987 Lotus Excel project :D

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Sparrow
Regular Poster

Re: Hello from Oxfordshire

Post by Sparrow »

Also i have found the way to add to the forum the photos so thank you very much to Alan.

So the story of my 1987 Lotus Excel SE
So my typical weekend from back in 1992

So the story behind the car is my father bought the car back in 1992 when i was only 4 years old. I loved the car and every weekend when i went over i would grab the keys get in the driving seat and pretend that i was driving the car. I fell for the beautiful girl the first time i saw her and loved every trip out. Years later and the older i got the more and more i wanted to drive it. Back in 2004 my father decided to put it away for winter as it took to long to heat up for him to get to work so he parked her in the garage bought a KA (yeah i know what you are thinking :P) as a daily driver with the intention of having her come out in the summer but ow no. That is where she sat for the last 16 years until a couple of weeks ago. I was coming out from work when i got a text message from my dad saying I need to use the garage if you want the Lotus then its yours. 100% truth my jaw dropped and i nearly dropped my phone on the railway track at Reading station lol. I didn't reply straight away as i had to think due to just purchasing my first house 2 months ago and having this dropped into my lap when as a lot of you will know when you buy a house you get the lovely surprises involved that the previous owner has left but not said. After us moving in we have had to spend close to nearly 2 grand what we were not prepared for to put the house right and then i get this text so as you can imagen money is low but the fact that this car to me has so much sentimental value and has been my childhood sports car that i have always wanted to drive it was a hard decision. So after talking to my partner which she has been amazing about before saying yes to my dad i arranged to go have a look the week before which this is what i saw.

So that was the state of the car after being sat in the garage for 16 years not as bad as i thought but it was quite a gut retching sight for me :cry: . But at the same time it was nice to clap my eyes on the old girl once again and she is only one year older than me :). It did take me a while to get the door open, now this wasn't down to the rubbers sticking it seems from all the time sitting the hinges must have slightly dropped as i needed to slightly lift the doors for them to open, not to sure if this is a known thing? Anyway got the door open and once i took a breath i was transported to that little 4 year old boy that loved nothing more than to grab the car keys and pretend to drive his favourite sports car. The interior smelt exactly the same as it did when she was put away. So i popped the bonnet had a look underneath checked the air filter housing to see if anything had decided to make a home in there and luckily nothing :D. Once i put the bonnet down i gave her a tap on the roof and said its ok you are coming home.

The Tuesday after this happened.

When we got her out into this spot i had to stand back and take a good look at her. I can't believing it has been 16 years since she has seen daylight but the fact that finally the childhood dream of me driving it is on the horizon but the fact that she is now mine was unbelievable :D.

So the old girl has been rescued from the horrible 4 walls of her garage and on her way to her new home with me where she will be transformed and adored.

So the day after i got her home from work i had to do the horrible test to know if she was going to be restored or scrapped which was the hand cranking of the engine. After some recommendations i went out to get some 20w50 and put a capful of oil down into the boars. Once this was done it was the moment of truth to know what her fate was going to be. I couldn't believe it there was no struggle at all the engine cranked over with ease so the biggest smile was on my face and that's where i started work on the front end.

Jobs that need doing:
Full service - all fluids, filters, plugs and belts
Bushes all round
Front wheel bearings
Joints all round
Discs, and pads all round - shoes were reshoed back in 2004 so have plenty of meat on them but will check.
All calipers need rebuilding/reconditioning
Tyres all round
Wheels need refurbing all round
Front shocks and springs
Rear shocks, springs might be able to be salvaged
Bit of body work but that will be the very last that will be done.

She is now front end up with the front end stripped to the point of trying to take the anti roll bar out as the bushes need changing and want to sandblast the bar and either paint or powder coat it.

Sorry for the long story hope it didn't put you guys to sleep. I would like to thank you all so far for all the messages and if anyone would like to come down and help out you are more than welcome.

I really can't wait to get her on the road :D
Last edited by Sparrow on Fri Apr 30, 2021 22:31, edited 1 time in total.
I haven't seen daylight in 17 years now i have been finally rescued :D

Sparrow
Regular Poster

Post by Sparrow »

Hawaiis0 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 22:19
You may only need a new bearing which is £50, that is a kit.

I pass by Lotusbits near rugby most weeks so can do collections for you if needed.

Postage is usually paid in beer
Thank you very much bud the bearing in that photo is the one i have so hopefully that is the one thats needed.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Are you in tomorrow morning?
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

TrevorK
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE (Now gone)
Colour: White
Year: 1988

Post by TrevorK »

Great story and good luck with the refurbinshment.

A couple of points, it looks like the boot floor brace is missing. Not urgent and probably something you could get from Lotusbits nearer when the car is due to go on the road. The front wheel bearings are adjustable so may not need replacing.
What car is that?

Sparrow
Regular Poster

Post by Sparrow »

TrevorK wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 22:51
Great story and good luck with the refurbinshment.

A couple of points, it looks like the boot floor brace is missing. Not urgent and probably something you could get from Lotusbits nearer when the car is due to go on the road. The front wheel bearings are adjustable so may not need replacing.
Thank you for the info Trevor i will keep that in mind for when i start the rear work.

Sparrow
Regular Poster

Post by Sparrow »

Hawaiis0 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 22:39
Are you in tomorrow morning?
pmed you mate

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Love the back story and great to have the keys to a car with such emotional attachment.
From what you are describing, it looks like this car just wants to be back on the road. A rolling restoration perhaps after the initial essentials are jobbed.

I'll be in touch at some point. Would love to drop by one day when taking my car for a run.

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Nice to see remaining in the family. That year of excel didnt have a boot brace, mines an 86 and has never had one.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Sparrow
Regular Poster

Post by Sparrow »

MetBlue wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 13:59
Love the back story and great to have the keys to a car with such emotional attachment.
From what you are describing, it looks like this car just wants to be back on the road. A rolling restoration perhaps after the initial essentials are jobbed.

I'll be in touch at some point. Would love to drop by one day when taking my car for a run.

Tony
Hello Tony,

You are welcome to pop by anytime bud. I had the pleasure of meeting Stu today (Hawaiis0) and from our chat he has managed to save me quite a bit of money as all the car is built up of so many different brands so instead of going to purchase lotus just find the parts from the vehicle they came from :D so thank you Stu. It was great to see your Green SA today as i haven't seen another excel on the road for many years so that was a well treat.

Stu also rested my mind on a few other things which he said the car is nothing to worry no horrors so i will be putting a list of items up in the wanted area if anyone has them and are for sale please let me know.

tonypoll
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: BRG
Year: 1992

Post by tonypoll »

The picture of the cambelt tensioner overhaul kit you showed above is probably not be the correct one for your car.
There were two type of tensioners. Before 1986 there was an automatic tensioner, and that's the bearing overhaul kit you referenced from SJS.
1986 and later (and I think you said your car was 1987) there was a simpler and more reliable tensioner. The bearing for this is https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and- ... E6249F.htm.
However, the SKF bearing is the same for the two tensioner designs, so you should be fine.
When you replace this bearing make sure the eccentric hub has the large part at the bottom, so as the belt rotates it tries to make the belt tension tighter. If you put the large part at the top the rotating belt tries to reduce the tension - and this would be bad!
The torque for the nut on the end of the eccentric is 25-30 ft lbs.
Tony

Sparrow
Regular Poster

Post by Sparrow »

tonypoll wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 18:46
The picture of the cambelt tensioner overhaul kit you showed above is probably not be the correct one for your car.
There were two type of tensioners. Before 1986 there was an automatic tensioner, and that's the bearing overhaul kit you referenced from SJS.
1986 and later (and I think you said your car was 1987) there was a simpler and more reliable tensioner. The bearing for this is https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and- ... E6249F.htm.
However, the SKF bearing is the same for the two tensioner designs, so you should be fine.
When you replace this bearing make sure the eccentric hub has the large part at the bottom, so as the belt rotates it tries to make the belt tension tighter. If you put the large part at the top the rotating belt tries to reduce the tension - and this would be bad!
The torque for the nut on the end of the eccentric is 25-30 ft lbs.
Tony

To save any confusion this is the tensioner i have for the cambelt and i have been told this is the one and the only one that is needed. I am just about to make a list in the wanted area of all the items i need :).

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Sparrow
Regular Poster

Post by Sparrow »

Thanks bud lucky enough i wont be doing it :)

Sparrow
Regular Poster

Post by Sparrow »

Well a slight updated today i finished off the front end removal only thing that i need to do is cut off the bolt of the bottom of the old shock as the spacer has decided to weld itself to the bolt and will not come out so the grinder needs to be used. i have the calipers now off on the front so they will be going off next week to Brake Caliper Refurbs next week. I will also be putting a big order in next week for some parts from SJ and Lotus bits.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Bigg Red in Worcester are also worth looking at for brake calliper refurb

http://www.biggred.co.uk