Sound proofing

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

exceliom
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Getting back to Red
Year: 1987

Sound proofing

Post by exceliom »

It's been two and a half years since Id posted about recommission the Excel.
I've been busy, leaving it out in the rain, letting it fill with water, and growing snails inside it.
Recently I moved house, so the car is now beside me, I've now the inspiration, budget, and intention to move forward.
been thinking about noise insulation as I've evicted the snails and ripped out the old new carpets.
Any thoughts?

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Re: Sound proofing

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Do a search for insulation and you will find various threads. Closed cell is important to stop water absorption. Iirc.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

shaunw
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit GT3
Colour: CALYPSO

Post by shaunw »

If you like to listen ( and be able to hear) music in the car sometimes, a bit of Dynamat on the door panel behind the speakers will work wonders. Other than that, like Stu says, your looking at proprietary soundproofing products.
I think I did a thread years ago called ' I've been busy again' which had a procedure and pics for soundproofing the doors.

Shaun

exceliom
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Getting back to Red
Year: 1987

Post by exceliom »

Thanks, everyone I think may have got my head around this as we don't have the resonance problem assioacticated with metal cars so it may be a matter of building up layers of different densities to absorb the sound waves. what do yous think?