Website Change Request

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

ChrisJ
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: White
Year: 1989

Website Change Request

Post by ChrisJ »

Could the forum be changed so that clicked links open in a new tab?

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Re: Website Change Request

Post by richardw »

Quickly checked and it is possible by changing the phpbb code.

Three issues:

1. Do all users want this feature?
2. It may cause technical issues when the forum is upgraded to a newer version, or it may simply stop working.
3. We’d probably need to pay someone to do it (unless we have a tame phpbb technical administrator among us.)

Were there an overwhelming requirement for such a change, phpbb would probably have been modified to make it an option, and my view is that we should keep the software standard.

Cheers, Richard

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Post by AndyC »

If using Chrome, press the CTRL button when clicking the link. There may even be extensions that can control such things on a site by site basis.

I just right click and open in new tab. I guess Chris wants it for the same reason, you have list of "new" topics, you want that list to remain whist you go and read the various topics, or similar for searches etc.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

I would prefer it as is, otherwise you can end up with loads of tabs open. For those that want to open in a new tab, then on a pc do as above. On a tablet normally just hold finger on link rather than quick tap and you have option to open in new tab.

ChrisJ
Senior Poster
Colour: White
Year: 1989

Post by ChrisJ »

This is the only forum that I use where the links open in the same tab - so I never remember to right click and Open in a New Tab - maybe I don't frequent enough Forums :)

I normally close a tab when I've finished with it, so often I close the tab and then lose the previous page - which is this forum. :( I assumed that it would be a configurable item, if not then just keep as is, thanks for checking.

My wife and daughter have so many tabs open in their browser you can just see the icon for each one at the top of the screen - there must be 50 or so. I have no idea how they can use it, as it has also used up most of their memory, and trying to get my wife to organise her favourites is another bug bear as she has one folder with 3-400 links in :?

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

I'm with Chris, I'd prefer it if links opened in a new tab. But it's not a big deal.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

tonypoll
Senior Poster
Colour: BRG
Year: 1992

Post by tonypoll »

Making the change to the code is, as you suggest, probably easy.
The problems usually arrive later when someone has to maintain these changes. Sometimes a newer version of the software doesn't work nicely with the ad-hoc changes made. It almost certainly not tested before release.
So my vote would be to not modify things unless you absolutely have to.
Tony