Peter James Insurance price hike

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Re: Peter James Insurance price hike

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

bash wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 21:48
Never go to a dealer for an mot, Ive heard this story so many times. Plus, Ive never heard of the heat shield one ?
Bash
Yeah my old school MOT chaps told me last year that any missing heat shield is now a FAIL 2020 onwards rather than advisory. So that's exhaust, CAT shields etc.

BUT the MOT man has to KNOW where heat shields are located on every car ...not going to happen with many independents .... but with main dealers ...money for old rope!
CAT heat shields fall off on a regular basis in my own very limited experience of moderns.

So if the exhaust passes under the petrol tank then there might be a shield.

Excel-wise I think we are OK ..can't recall any heat shields on the Excel?
Peter K

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

It really depends on what you call a heat shield - the Excel has three as far as I remember - one on the body just behind the exhaust manifold and one above each silencer. Not sure when those above the silencers were first fitted, but I think all had the forward one. The Elite has one on the nearside engine mounting bobbin.

Pete

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Pete Boole wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:33
It really depends on what you call a heat shield - the Excel has three as far as I remember - one on the body just behind the exhaust manifold and one above each silencer. Not sure when those above the silencers were first fitted, but I think all had the forward one. The Elite has one on the nearside engine mounting bobbin.

Pete
You're right! Forgot about those.
I guess the average MOT man might not notice. But that said, I'd prefer to have the stick-on heat shields above the rear silencers rather than not. And there's a sheild around the Excel engine mount too.
Peter K

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

I think these were only on the later cars, either that or mine fell off over 25 years ago.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Things got worse for me today! Still no head space to ring around insurance companies. :(

My 30yo son rang early this morning to say he has put £60 of Diesel in the VW Camper and the fuel gauge still reads low...

Turns out the numpty has filled the DRINKING water tank with DIESEL!

How do I divorce my kids? :(

OR staying on topic ..will insurance cover it?
Don't answer that ...
Peter K

hodders
Senior Poster
Model: Excel Celebration
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1992

Post by hodders »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 15:59
Things got worse for me today! Still no head space to ring around insurance companies. :(

My 30yo son rang early this morning to say he has put £60 of Diesel in the VW Camper and the fuel gauge still reads low...

Turns out the numpty has filled the DRINKING water tank with DIESEL!

How do I divorce my kids? :(

OR staying on topic ..will insurance cover it?
Don't answer that ...
Saw this quote on another forum today: "If you think you are smarter than the previous generation... fifty years ago the owner's manual showed you how to adjust the valves. Today it warns you not to drink the contents of the battery".

(And don't get me started on headlight bulb replacement: "refer to your dealer"!)
-- hodders

1992 Lotus Excel Celebration, Calypso Red
2021 BMW i3s, Blue Ridge Mountain
2020 Jaguar I-Pace, Eiger Grey

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white

Post by bash »

Ive had a look, they should only fail a car if its near the fuel system or there is a risk of fire.......... Which means it open to interpretation by the tester, again !!!! Another interpretation is depending how much business the tester wants to drum up (dealer ?). I bet you can still pass a landrover with the centre of the chassis rusted away because its more than 300mm away from a suspension mount... Crazy.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

bash wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:16
Ive had a look, they should only fail a car if its near the fuel system or there is a risk of fire.......... Which means it open to interpretation by the tester, again !!!! Another interpretation is depending how much business the tester wants to drum up (dealer ?). I bet you can still pass a landrover with the centre of the chassis rusted away because its more than 300mm away from a suspension mount... Crazy.
Bash
Progress on daughter's PRius MOT (but not done insurance calls yet!):

I fitted new front discs for her£90 (parts)

She took the Prius to an independent garage for the MOT: total costs: just £48 for MOT!

No mention of missing heat shield, front suspension was an advisory (slight play), Tyres (advisory).

Big difference compared to main dealer's £1600 quote!
Peter K

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Rang Adrian Flux this morning. Trying to beat Peter James' £575 (inc European breakdown).

First quote was without any breakdown cover - £475

Then, additional breakdown cover to be added for EACH car! £42 for the Clan, £100 for the Camper, £100 Lotus!

Policy Excess more - £300 v £200
Windscreen Excess more -£100 v £75.

I rejected the offer - he came back with £420 plus the individual breakdown covers for each car!

Not going to happen! Worse cover and more money :(

May wait till tomorrow to try someone else - process took ages.
Peter K

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Decided to give Footman James another go ... (I was with them prior to Peter James)

Long story short FJ got it down to £521 for the three vehicles - including breakdown cover plus 3rd party cover to drive other folks cars 20 years and older.

Tempted. :)

Then Adrian Flux rang back with a better offer on their first attempt (see above post)... :o

This time, instead of a multii-car policy, it comprised three individual policies - INTERESTING! :?

Total £514 - including breakdown cover plus 3rd part cover to drive ANY other persons car (inc moderns). BTW, my current policy with PJ (£575 renewal) did not cover driving other peoples cars.

Camper £244;
Lotus £152;
Clan £118;

Each one has different excesses - £150 (camper); £100( Lotus); £50 (Clan)
Each one has a different windscreen cover- eg Lotus £500 max, Clan -unlimited!!!
All have named drivers included (wife and son).

Who would of thought that the recent trend for multi-car policies would result in a just another opportunity for sharp-practice? :?

Thank you Wane @Adrian Flux for thinking outside of the box and coming back to me! :D
Peter K

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

:idea: Interesting thought - could save me a further £42! :D

Camper £244; (£75 of which is breakdown cover)
Lotus £152; (£42 of which is break down cover)
Clan £118; (£42 of which is breakdown cover)

If I got a car trailer then no need for breakdown cover on the Clan as it is only currently used for short journeys and the campervan has a tow bar!

Couldn't really apply that to the Lotus mind because it is used for longer trips - no one to go back home for the camper and trailer! :roll:
Peter K

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Why 3 lots of breakdown cover?

RAC is any car!
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

I think breakdown cover bundled with an insurance policy is single car. Separately purchased, it should cover any car driven by a named member (at least that’s how our family AA policy works.)

Cheers, Richard

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Hawaiis0 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 21:36
Why 3 lots of breakdown cover?

RAC is any car!
That's what I thought!
With PJ and FJ it's one cover for all three.
Moreover, when I was with the RAC many moons ago it was breakdown cover for the person(me) in any car (not including mental breakdown).

During the telephone 'consultation' (it felt like one) they read out some key conditions for each policy (all separative companies/underwriters).
So for the Lotus, but not mentioned for the Clan or Camper policies (I had to sit through legal blurb for each policy), if I had lied about club or forum memberships declared, or I was no longer a member of said clubs, then it would reduce the payout.
Seemed weird. Are they going to look-up my forum posts to see if I've bragged about doing 130 mph on the M6 burning off hot hatches?

Had to chuckle about cost of Clan ownership.
No MOT needed (1974) , No road Tax and I could get it insured for £76 (with no breakdown cover) and 50+ mpg is possible ...if i ever fell on hard times I know which car would be the last to go! :lol:
Peter K

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 22:05
...if i ever fell on hard times I know which car would be the last to go! :lol:
After the wife of course :)
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!