New member - Excel SA

General Excel discussions. You may also post Eclat and Elite information here. If there is enough call I will set up new categories or even a new BB for them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1982

Re: New member - Excel SA

Post by Pete Boole »

Re window feeds - it might be worth building a jig to mount the motor/arm and see how much current it draws as you try to stall it. I don't think they pull that much current when the windows slide easily.

Pete

Excel SA
Junior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Post by Excel SA »

I bought new window channel felt (as well as all the other sealing strips, door and boot seals) and put the drivers window back on to the door beam off the car and couldn't resist trying the window motor.....it all worked and wound up and down surprisingly quickly. Will probably leave out any additional relays for now - I can add them later if it becomes an issue.

The supplier I bought the seals from also sell a corner piece for the door seal which should make that joint easier.

Neil

Excel SA
Junior Poster

Post by Excel SA »

Went to visit the engine supplier this week - they were really helpful and friendly - took along my gearbox to compare it to the Lexus one, and to take measurements to confirm that it will fit in the chassis. The Lexus gearbox doesn't taper as much as the ZF from the Excel when looked at from above, but otherwise they are fairly similar. Am opting for the 6-speed 'box as it will give better cruising rpms - about 2300 rpm at 120km/h. The Excel ZF gearbox is the one on the floor....

I gave up trying to fit it all together in my imagination, so drew it out in 3D to get more of an idea of how it would all fit together. The gearbox mounts are in different positions, and the only possible (theoretical...) clash may be with the existing gearbox brackets, but it will be close - first prize is to keep the original ones in place.

The engine/gearbox combination comes pre-wired with the factory ecu, fly-by-wire throttle pedal, gear shifter (which is large...), fuses and relays and is tested and running. The fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, engine and gearbox mounts are all available from the same supplier, but I will need to specify an engine with a PAS pump - most of the cars they come out of apparently have electric power steering systems.

Neil.

Edited to put the right picture in.
Last edited by Excel SA on Sun Oct 11, 2020 06:00, edited 1 time in total.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Good progress! The 6-speed will be great!

Pete

Excel SA
Junior Poster

Post by Excel SA »

As I had access to the wiper motor, I thought I would take it out and give it a once over. The grease inside had turned to treacle.

I'm surprised this bit isn't a bit more protected from dirt and dust - even tucked up under the dashboard it's all going to get gummed up some time.

Looking a bit better after a clean and new grease.

Motor brushes got a clean as well - all tested and working on two speeds straight off a battery.

Neil

Excel SA
Junior Poster

Post by Excel SA »

Door check strap

The strap on my drivers door was missing so I arranged for a mirror image of the passenger side one to be laser cut for me so the door wouldn't open 180 degrees.

Fitted it on the weekend and ended up with a door that wouldn't close.

The mounting point on the door beam on the driver's side is 10mm or so closer to the hinge - not something I even thought about checking.

I drilled and tapped a new hole in the hinge plate - seemed the most sensible fix.....

Neil.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

If it's an aftermarket door beam the quality does seem to vary somewhat! Good solution though.

Pete

Excel SA
Junior Poster

Post by Excel SA »

It's more a 2nd hand door beam that was fitted I think - I did have to weld in a patch or two where it had rusted through. The service notes list 2 different part numbers so maybe off an older car?? I should know by now to check everything and not assume it is at it should be!

I did think about shortening the strap or moving the bracket on the beam, but not for long - those options were a lot harder and messier.

Neil.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

I think the two different parts might be the early "federal" beams and then the later ones.

Pete

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

There are 2 straps from memory.

One longer one which opens further.

People usually weld in a 10mm extension.
Umm! What to do next?

Excel SA
Junior Poster

Post by Excel SA »

So two different straps and two different door beams - I would have had to shorten my strap by 10mm to get the door to close - hope it opens wide enough now!

Neil.

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh - Don't do this to me......

Many of you will be aware my N/S beam is Donald Ducked and I'm planning it's replacement ( Just not got round to it yet !!) (MY91)
To start, I thought I could fit the beam of a 78 Elite I happened to have - No you can't - Or at least not without big changes to the latch plate, that are just not worth the effort.
So I got a reasonable condition Excel beam from LB, which just last week I completed a refurb of and therefore about ready to fit.
Now through this thread I become aware that things changed from MY 89 onwards and there's two different beams. :(
Checking the parts list, the Beam, the check strap/ spring and the Top Hinge bracket all changed from MY 89. I imagine it must have been to let the door open a tad wider.
Would appear Neil has ended up with a mix of the two parts set.
Fortunately I got the beam, strap and hinge plates from LB for the beam, so although I wasn't planning on changing the Hinge plates, I'll be able to if I need.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Excel SA
Junior Poster

Post by Excel SA »

Hi Tony, might be worthwhile putting the old and new parts next to each other and checking for any differences - it was nothing really obvious to me - the parts all looked the same, just mounted in slightly different places.

Hopefully my door will open wide enough to be comfortable/practical.

Neil.