A quick how to embed a photo from OneDrive

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

A quick how to embed a photo from OneDrive

Post by Alan_M »

I know some can struggle with embedding photos on this site, so I have made a quick video showing how this is done. It assumes you already have a OneDrive account and have uploaded your photos to it.

This video is how to do it using a pc/laptop, but will work on an ipad or tablet as long as it's done using the web browser and NOT the OneDrive app.

I realise the video isn't the best quality, but my laptop is pretty old :oops:

You can view the short version here - https://youtu.be/OwwVZm2E2Go

and

the longer, slightly more detailed version here - https://youtu.be/T-tT37TbFd0
Last edited by Alan_M on Sat May 23, 2020 18:14, edited 1 time in total.

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Re: A quick how to embed a photo from OneDrive

Post by MetBlue »

What a great idea Alan. We'll done. That should help many who have struggled with this for ages. 👍👍👍

Ironically, I use Onedrive to post my pictures, but very differently to you. Maybe it's because I started using one drive just as a common directory path I could have on my work PC and home PC to make life easier when I wanted to work on large files at home. As a result its only on my desk PC, not tablet.
My method involves right mouse click and selecting 'share' on the picture in the Onedrive directory, but AFAIK, I can't resize within the drive, so I have to resize picture before putting in Onedrive.

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

Alan, thanks for the Video. I have been struggling to get there and have been helped by several forum members.
As a comment on the video, for us non-experts every little move is needed to be explained. We are not used to knowing that RIGHT click is needed sometimes,and the copy/paste also requires a right click, otherwise we are left blank. Notice I have said We.
This happens twice following your video.

Again many thanks

Dave the cog.

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

DavidOliver wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 09:06
As a comment on the video, for us non-experts every little move is needed to be explained. We are not used to knowing that RIGHT click is needed sometimes,and the copy/paste also requires a right click, otherwise we are left blank.
Dave the cog.
Fair comment. I had assumed as copy and paste are basic operations when using a computer everyone would know how to do this :oops:

When I get a little spare time I will redo the video adding the extra bits. It only takes about 20 mins to set up and record, but takes a further couple of hours for my steam driven laptop to render the video and upload to YouTube.

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Thanks on behalf of all members, Alan. Once you have the revised video I'll make it a sticky!

Cheers, Richard

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

Ok, here's a longer more detailed video on inserting an image into a forum post.

Hopefully this covers everything needed. I haven't covered how to open and upload photos to One Drive account as that is well covered on the internet. Happy for any comments.

Longer version - https://youtu.be/T-tT37TbFd0

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

Great video Alan - I am using this method now rather than Image Shack.
One thing I find is that I have to left click on the photo file to highlight it, then right click on it, then click on 'view on line' then just follow your video.
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

Tanz wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:18
Great video Alan - I am using this method now rather than Image Shack.
One thing I find is that I have to left click on the photo file to highlight it, then right click on it, then click on 'view on line' then just follow your video.
Thanks

It sounds like you are initially selecting the photo in the OneDrive folder on your computer rather than logging in to your Onedrive account via a web browser as per the video, which as you know does work. If you just want to do a single photo, then that works fine, but I did it being logged in via web browser as it removes those extra steps for each photo you want to embed. This makes it a bit quicker when doing several photos. To avoid confusion I just showed the one method that should work for anyone, and which will work using a tablet as long as you use a web browser. If you try using your method on a tablet form the Onedrive app - it won’t work.

AndyD
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1986

Post by AndyD »

Alan, just a note to say thank you for providing the detailed instructions on this, it's very much appreciated.

I'd always struggled to work out how to upload images but using your method it worked first time for me!

Cheers

Andy

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

AndyD wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 20:48
Alan, just a note to say thank you for providing the detailed instructions on this, it's very much appreciated.

I'd always struggled to work out how to upload images but using your method it worked first time for me!

Cheers

Andy
No problem. I hope it will make it easier for people to post pictures here as it’s too easy to resort to Facebook to ask technical questions as posting pictures is so easy on their. The problem with Facebook is it is so transient and the information disappears so quickly meaning the knowledge base about these cars is not built up. However on a forum this information should endure, as long as Onedrive does not do a photo bucket and hold people’s photos to ransom.

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Just reactivating.
Very useful. Thanks again Alan
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Ray-s
Regular Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: calypso red
Year: 1988

Post by Ray-s »

:D Thanks Alan got it sorted remembered how to do it from Dropbox (old age :oops: )..
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Ray...
Why is there always bits left over ?