907 Cam belt lower cover

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

907 Cam belt lower cover

Post by MetBlue »

I've been on the hunt for a while for a decent condition lower belt cover for the 907 engine ( Don't know if they are the same on later engine models). The top one came from Lotusbits, and is labelled up Elite / Eclat, so were Excels different?
To date nothing has come up, although I am now aware I can buy both parts from SJ for around £100. Problem is they would be pattern parts, you can only buy as a pair and I have a genuine top in good condition which I want to use. Then there's the small item of cost on something that no one can see !! - I have better places to spend £100 :D :D

So barring a miracle, I'm going to have a shot at remaking one. I've borrowed one to act as a template. It's not a particularly complex shape, so what the heck. If it doesn't work out, it's mainly time I will have lost.

First question on this journey. The top cover does not appear to have a gell coat. There are many area's where the matting is clearly visible, althougth its nice and smooth. Is it lekielty that these "hidden" parts were just laid up with matting and some colouring in the resin?
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Re: 907 Cam belt lower cover

Post by Pete Boole »

I've got one Tony. It's an SJ part - very poorly made :roll:. I'll swap it for an Excel lower guard! Given the quality of this one I'd still be tempted to make a mould for when it breaks!

Pete

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

MetBlue wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 14:19
I've been on the hunt for a while for a decent condition lower belt cover for the 907 engine ( Don't know if they are the same on later engine models).
The Excel only has an upper belt guard which is a different shape. Are you a member of the Lotus Excel Facebook page? There is a guy on there called Bauke Tocus who breaks elites and eclats - it would be worth asking him.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

I was only jesting about swapping for an Excel part Tony - you can have mine. If you pm me your address I can post it or happy for you to pick it up if you're around this way.

Pete

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

Thanks for the offer Pete, but hold on to it for now.
Pete Boole wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 17:20
I've got one Tony. It's an SJ part - very poorly made . I'll swap it for an Excel lower guard! Given the quality of this one I'd still be tempted to make a mould for when it breaks!
Your previous post was all the excuss I needed to crack on and see what I could come up with.
Progress on a mould so far :

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.