Exhaust Rubber Mounts

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Grant H
Regular Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Glacier Blue
Year: 1985

Exhaust Rubber Mounts

Post by Grant H »

It's not the most exciting part of the car and so is easily ignored. It was within the first 6 months of owning the car one of the rear boxes came loose on the way back to Douglas. It was dragged down the road hanging from the hoops until I realized and stopped. I hence purchased a new stainless exhaust. Back then there was a company that said they were the official supplier for Lotus but the quality turned out to be questionable. I would say it's never fitted well and so the rubbers are probably under more stress than they should be. I change the hoops at the back once a year and the rubber mounts under the car about every 5.
On a recent morning run the center box split down the middle. No problem, I had another in the garage! I'll just change the rubber mounts at the same time. I was surprised how little of the pig nose rubber mounts I could find on ebay. The delivery cost from SJ just for these put me off so I did a click and collect from Halfords for the 4 hole universal types for the first time. They fitted OK, time will tell if the exhaust stay's on. I was also please the lock nuts on the rear box hangers still undo so they can be turned out before fitting.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Re: Exhaust Rubber Mounts

Post by bash »

I use the Halfords ones and they are OK, although they dont always have the correct size ones in so If I see them I buy a couple for stock. By the way, if you keep an emergency spare in the boot and a tent peg puller you can fit a new one in seconds with no spanners or swearing.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

CHRISYD
Senior Poster
Model: N/A
Colour: N/A

Post by CHRISYD »

I purchased some poly exhaust rubbers off ebay years ago. they were for the old school mini and as such are too thick so I cut down through with a saw so get two rubbers for the price of one. They were orange I think and are still on the car after 4 years. they fit better on the rear hooks but do fit on the centre aswell.
I REALISED YOU CANT LIVE WITHOUT A LOTUS!!! Until now :oops:

don.hasi
Senior Poster
Model: Eclat S2.2 Riviera
Colour: Black
Year: 1982

Post by don.hasi »

Yes, poly rubbers all the way, especially if you have a ss exhaust system.
ImageImageImageImageImage