Preload

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

ianhateswork
Junior Poster
Model: se
Colour: red
Year: 1991

Preload

Post by ianhateswork »

Hi all,
I am just about to set the preload on my rear hubs but thought i would ask if i am doing right.
No lb/in device, so i am using a weighted 1 foot tube. I divided 1lb/in by twelve and then to grams (38g) for ease,
If it takes 150g to overcome the resistance of the seals, do i simply add 38g to the 150 and tighten the nut till rotational movement stops or do i need to find another way.

anybody needing m20 x 150 nuts 27mm socket, i found http://www.euro4x4parts.com/parts/ selling them for one euro each and even with the 9 euro postage they were still much cheeper. just enter PCE1037 or equivalent 90179-20061

old new and the free m20x1.5 that is so close but not

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Re: Preload

Post by bash »

I did it in a very similar way, and still dont know if I was right or not, but, every time I tightened up a small amount as I was approaching the "correct" torque I span the hub a few times to relieve any sticktion,and this seems to work. But, Ive done a few of these now (hate the job) and every time after a couple of hundred miles they need retightening. I thought it was me that was doing this wrong but I know others that have done the same. How did I adjust them after that.... I just tightened it until the play had gone and they have been ok since so Im beginning to think the original method is 'operation overkill'. What does anyone else think.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

I agree entirely Bash - I rebuilt my rear bearings with exceptional care and they still needed nipping up after a couple of hundred miles. It would be nice if someone offered a properly engineered solution.

Pete

v8 fou
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE V8
Colour: Blue
Year: 1987

Post by v8 fou »

I would say using a high quality torque wrench would be the answer, like I did on mine with no further tightening needed.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

I used a very expensive Snapon one the last time but still got the same result, but there is a loose nut in the system.....me.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

ianhateswork
Junior Poster
Model: se
Colour: red
Year: 1991

Post by ianhateswork »

Thanks for the advice, can carry on now.
It may be that a little touch and feel is the properly engineered solution.