Where Can I find the Engine Number???

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Cappies85Lotus
Verified Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1985

Where Can I find the Engine Number???

Post by Cappies85Lotus »

Hi Guys
Just had an interesting letter from Lotus Archives.
I asked them to check the original sale of the car and the link to The Norfolk Motor Co who sold it to the original owner.
The reply came back, but they wanted me to check the VIN plate and the number on the engine because it is ( should be ) the original development HC engine.
Had a look round but can not see it. He said above the starter motor. Took air filter off but still can not see high enough.
Am I looking in the right place??
Any help appreciated.
Brian

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Re: Where Can I find the Engine Number???

Post by AndyC »

It's stamped in a flat section right near the mating surface with the gearbox. So, it's near/above the starter, but it's near the starter cog rather than the body of the electric motor.

Cappies85Lotus
Verified Poster

Post by Cappies85Lotus »

Thanks Andy for info
Had a good look , and with torch but still cant see it. Do I need to remove anything to get access to view??
Brian

Esprit2
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Esprit2 »

Cappies85Lotus wrote:Thanks Andy for info
Had a good look , and with torch but still cant see it. Do I need to remove anything to get access to view??
Brian
Brian,
Nothing is in your way enough to need to be removed, but you do have to lean way in, and look down into the gab between the rear carb and the body/ firewall. It's down in there a few inches lower than the level of the bottom of the carb.

You'll see the bell housing coming forward out of the chassis tunnel and bolting to the cylinder block's rear flange. Just forward of that bolted joint line, on the top face of the rear flange, and immediately to the right (driver's side) of the cylinder head, you'll see letters and numbers stamped on top of the block's rear flange.

That puts it just a few inches above where the starter bolts onto the block.

Lean in, get your head way in there, and look down.

I've PM'd you with my email address. Contact me and I can send you a JPEG illustration that shows where to find the engine number. Ping me.

Regards,
Tim Engel

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

I guess Tim means the passenger side of the cylinder head over here in Blighty? :wink:
Peter K

Cappies85Lotus
Verified Poster

Post by Cappies85Lotus »

Hi Tim
Wow I didn't expect a worldwide response. How is Minneapolis this morning. I see that it is pretty cold at -1 with snow showers. Not ideal for us Lotus lovers.
Thanks for sending photos.That makes it a lot clearer where to look. Will get car out of garage this morning and peer in.
Brian

Esprit2
Senior Poster

Post by Esprit2 »

Brian,
The Excel was never sold in North America, so I'm on this forum because I have two Eclats. Lotus did touch the world, so ask a question on the internet, and answers could come from anywhere. You're playing in a larger pool than the puddle in your driveway.

Winters here do tend to be cold, snowy and long. When it's nice here, it's very nice. But then you pay the price when the fun cars go into Winter-storage for 5 months each year. I'm in the middle of that period now.

Keep us posted on what you find. I don't know that having the original 'development' 912HC will increase your Excel's value, but it's sure an interesting talking point.

Regards,
Tim Engel

Cappies85Lotus
Verified Poster

Post by Cappies85Lotus »

Hi Tim
Thanks for your help and photos. Found the engine number twice, each side of the engine on flat. The one appears to be incomplete above the starter motor. I have been a Lotus fan most of my life and bought my +2 when I was 23 but kids came along, crack in the chassis which I couldn't afford to repair, so sold it when I was 26 (1976). Then bought the Excel in 1988 and have washed and polished it ever since. It has been largely garaged and has just turned 37k on the clock. If it turns out it was the development HC engine it would be a nice little bit of extra history. Not interested in the value, after 32 years of ownership and as I am 70 this year no intention of selling. Will be leaving it to my youngest (40) who is a car nut, trained mechanic and is VW Service, Workshop and Paintshop manager, so I know it will be well cared for when I get called up!!!
Thanks again for your help.
Brian

Esprit2
Senior Poster

Post by Esprit2 »

Brian,
I don't know what's going on with the engine having two numbers... unless, of course, that has something to do with being the original development 912HC engine. Do look into that with Lotus and let us know the story.

Regards,
Tim Engel

Cappies85Lotus
Verified Poster

Post by Cappies85Lotus »

Thanks Tim.
Managed to take photo of engine no. this morning and have sent to Lotus. Was a bit of a stretch for a little bloke and awkward taking photo with pipes in the way. Now awaiting the verdict.
I will keep this thread posted with any updates
Brian

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

I guess cappies85lotus, has gone AWOL,but shame we didn't get an update on this thread.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.