Welcome from New Zealand

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

kiwiexcel
Verified Poster

Welcome from New Zealand

Post by kiwiexcel »

Firstly I'm a newbie here who has recently driven an 84 Excel from Auckland to Queenstown in New Zealand.

The total distance is just over 1500km. By the time I had completed the first days journey, I had become remarkably impressed with the vintage Lotus. Things did flap about a bit and twice the cars electrics faultered, but Wellington was reached without becoming acquainted with a garage. Oh yes, and the windscreen wiper packed up! Thank heavens for RainX. Christchurch was reached on the eve of the second day. Checking fluids before setting off every day was a must. I was losing a little water so a pressure test will be required shortly. Oil was good with about a half litre being used as a top up. Mpg averaged 32mpg, which I believe is the norm at a constant 60mph. Queenstown was reached on the third day. All good and a fine and enjoyable trip.

However the clutch went as soon as I arrived in QT and it appears the windscreen wiper cable has burnt out the wiper motor. What a job to get at the wiper motor and cable! Lack of use and a seized cable due to water ingress has caused the problems.

I have a brief question. This Excel was one of the first units made. I believe it was produced in April 84. When did the rear spoiler become the norm on Excels? Mine has one, but I believe it was a Lotus add-on by one of the original owners. Every car in the mid 80's had a spoiler. It was like having a go fast stripe. This early Excel spoiler weighs in at just under 3 kilos. With it on, the boot lid struggles to open. So I have taken it off to be left with what I regard as a more attractive shape at the rear. Sure the lack of a spoiler may effect lack of stability at over 200kph, but alas, New Zealand has a maximum speed limit of 100kph.

B.

tonypoll
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: BRG
Year: 1992

Re: Welcome from New Zealand

Post by tonypoll »

The boot not staying open is a common 'feature'.
The boot hinge has an indent in which a nylon roller should sit when the boot is open. It's too shallow if there is a heavy spoiler fitted. So if you make the indent just a little bit deeper with a small round file you'll find the boot stays open without hitting you on the head!
Tony

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Welcome to the forum. Post us some photos! :D. Sounds like a bit of an epic just to get it home. Well done!

Pete

Grant H
Regular Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Glacier Blue
Year: 1985

Post by Grant H »

I believe it was 84 that the spoiler was introduced along with air vents in the bonnet, I've not seen it on 82 or 83 models. The boot lid was made larger than the original Eclat design at the same time, something to check. The spoiler got bigger on the SE a couple of years later and then changed again around the 90's.

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

kiwiexcel
Verified Poster

Post by kiwiexcel »

Many thanks for your replies. My chassis number is 1410 so it would be manufactured in December 83. However as there are 4 Lotus aluminium bobbins fibreglassed into the lid of the boot, one can only assume this was one of the first spoiler Excels.

Lotus must have felt they could sell a few more with the added spoiler!

B

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Hello and welcome.

If you have replaced the clutch you probably found the flywheel is a 'flexi-plate' version designed to refine driveline / clutch uptake. The issue with the flexi-plate design is increased clutch wear as the 'bite-point' is more flabby which promotes more clutch slip during take-up. 40K to 50 K mile clutch changes are to be expected within some ownerships depending on type of use obviously.

IF you haven't had any flexi-plate flywheel experiences then try this because it's an eye-opener :) ... with the starter removed get someone to press the clutch whist you observe, through the starter aperture within the bell-housing, the flywheel movement before the pressure plate disengages the clutch ...it's pretty shocking! :shock:

So if your flywheel is scored (likely) then think about swapping-out for a *solid* lightweight steel flywheel. The driving pleasure is increased massively as throttle response and engine braking is enhanced. I did mine (as others on here) - recommended.
Peter K