New Lotus logo

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Re: New Lotus logo

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Straight! :D

:idea: Maybe set-up a poll? Then send results to Lotus? :)
Peter K

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

This redesign reminds me of the Marmite label redesign many years ago. Being an old fuddy duddy (even then!) I preferred the original label, but the new simplified one hasn't done the brand any harm. Marmite (the product) used to be solid and waxy but has become more liquid over the years. A jar could easily last 6 months or more. No longer, so they sell more jars.

Rather than redesign the badge, I'd have liked Lotus to use it more prominently - like the prancing horse 'shoulder' badges on Ferraris on the sides of the front wings.

KevW
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1992

Post by KevW »

The new badge looks a bit too 1940's utility style for me. Not very classy
Kev W no.282

fueltheburn
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Suzuki Yellow
Year: 1987

Post by fueltheburn »

People don't like change, they are rigid because it means they have to change routine or learn something new.
Branding isn't any different. I was annoyed when they renamed opal fruits and Jif for the "international folk" :roll:

As for the Wickens badge - I think it looks better than the normal round badges both early era and late... A bit yawn worthy and the new one is no better.
The round badges don't portray much effort in terms of styling. I guess the new new badge design was given to the apprentice as a project just beginning college. He accidentally submitted it after only 5mins :lol:

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Funny how tastes differ - I think of the the Wickens badge as rather sleazy mainly because it's representative of the ego trip that the un-liked Executive Chairman Wickens was having at the time. I never liked the stylish wobbly overlapped lower-case lotus lettering either.

But they all form part of Lotus history which means all are authentic and have value but just not to my taste.
Peter K

Phantasm
Senior Poster
Colour: Silk Red

Post by Phantasm »

Pulled this from a Facebook Group:

-Bill
1991-92ish Lotus Excel SE Silk Red
2009 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited 4X4
2015.5 Volvo V60 T5
Previous: 2005 Toyota Prius, 2002 Nissan Maxima SE 6 speed, 1988 Toyota 4Runner, 1989 Toyota 4Runner, 1995 Dodge Neon, 1986 Ford Mustang

Phantasm
Senior Poster
Colour: Silk Red

Post by Phantasm »

It's almost a blending of all the prior logos...
The Font is like the originals
The Coloring of "Lotus" is like the mid late 80s (vs. chrome color)
The lack of Chrome outlining is like the 68-86 versions
The most significant departure I see is the Chapman initials, they are more evenly spaced/symmetric with the small C being exceptionally smaller than previous versions and the font matches the LOTUS font style better.

Personally,
I dislike the lack of outlining in the new one and the color palette isn't to my taste. I prefer the 2010 variant because it looks 'lighter'. The fatter fonts give the logo weight which is counter to the Lotus mantra.
I'd also be happy with the original with the 2009 or 2010 color palette.
-Bill
1991-92ish Lotus Excel SE Silk Red
2009 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited 4X4
2015.5 Volvo V60 T5
Previous: 2005 Toyota Prius, 2002 Nissan Maxima SE 6 speed, 1988 Toyota 4Runner, 1989 Toyota 4Runner, 1995 Dodge Neon, 1986 Ford Mustang

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

Now that we have the choices from Phantasm, many thanks, we can make moreunderstandable comments.
Firstly, I am a Lotus fan because of Colin Chapman and his attitude to what a car is and feel honoured to drive one of his inventions. I therefore believe I am due an opinion on the Logo and I hope our combined opinions get to the Lotus current owners who may not know what is the true legacy behind a Logo and all us Lotus enthusiasts.
My logo preference is the original 48-85 one, with the same font that Colin stamped out when font choice was something we never thought about, I am sure he would say there are more important things to worry about.
However the Logo we use for our Forum (2009) I find very pleasant as long as the background is the dark green.
I disagree that the ACBC font be changed, particularly the large C which without its ´tails´ becomes anything but the letter C.

Is there sufficient interest in the Forum to make known our thoughts for them to be respected?
By the way I do not know from the original posting the origin of this new Lotus Logo.

Dave the cog.

jeff.fenton
Senior Poster

Post by jeff.fenton »

The evolution of the badges is almost as interesting as that of the cars. Early ones had paint rather than enamel, the black was supposed to have been as respect for Jim Clark passing,(but that's debaitable), the Wickens early badge had to have Chapmans initials reinstated to quell a near riot as the factory, spurious (Chinese?) copies were sold, the tips of the small C didn't enter the B. Mk2 Cortina Lotus badges had no threads, just push fit in plastic grommets,(the first few had rectangular Lotus boot badges rather than Twin Cam). Incidentally the Eclat was to have been an ELITE+2, proto badges were made,(I have one), before they changed their mind up. In case you wondered, no I don't have a life. Cheers, Jeff.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

fueltheburn wrote:....... guess the new new badge design was given to the apprentice as a project just beginning college. He accidentally submitted it after only 5mins :lol:
I thought the same, only his crayons were sharper than mine :lol:
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!