83 Excel from from Finland

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Osku
Regular Poster

Re: 83 Excel from from Finland

Post by Osku »

Lotus bit offered two sets of AVO Shocks Adjustable and OEM spec

some one used either and whats the wordict?

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Osku wrote:Lotus bit offered two sets of AVO Shocks Adjustable and OEM spec

some one used either and whats the wordict?
I had some AVOs from them a few years back but never liked the set up. The narrower 2 1/2 inch springs made some difference to the feel. They were looking to revise their set up. If they have done so and gone back to 3 1/4 inch oem spring then that maybe worth atry.

If you want a stiff racing set up then the AVO may be what you need , but my bones are old and need caressing.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

Basicly I'm looking for an OEM feel as I would like it to feel like Lotus intended, I do drive my car enthusiasticly but I do not race it. I drive for the feeling not the clock.
I have several cars and will use the lotus when it suits the job, and I could live with both comfy and stiff suspension the most important thing is that it is balanced.
Right now it is if something more on the soft side but the reson I want to do something is to get it in balance.

tonypoll
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: BRG
Year: 1992

Post by tonypoll »

I bought Protech from SJS for the same reason as you - I wanted something like the factory setting, rather than a track setting. The Protechs seem fine for my requirements.

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

Today I drove this back from the museum and the first 200km this sommer went fine. Tomorrow I have an appointment with an exhaust shop to fix the exhaust properly. Last sommer I changed the center mufler for something I could get fast then but it was slightly to thick so I brought my old stainles mufler to the shop so that they can open it and put new woll in it as it had become totaly empthy. otherwise it was solid it just did only howl but not mufle.

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

How do you suggest I jackup the car tha safest way with a two pilar lift at the exhaust garage?
I know the seller lifted it directly from the grp but I also read horror storys about that going wrong.
I have my self lifted the car up only with a floorjack from suspension components.

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

So are the so called jacking points smart to use or should I just put big pieces of wood under them before using or beside it?
I can't most likely reach any solid metal component with the two pilar jack.
I will lift the car up at 12:00 local time that is 10:00 UK time so any information is mostly usefull before that.

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Osku
I would share your concerns about lifting on a two pillar lift. Like you, I've only ever jacked my car up off the chassis. ( By the way, I also recognise your time constraints with being 2 hours ahead of us in UK therefore short on time for an answer this morning. I used to work for a Finnish company in the UK. Many times, the time difference was a benefit, but occasionally it put the same constraints you have).
I'm sorry that I do not have an experienced answer but if I were you I'd take along some wood to distribute the load better ( I know from experience one thing Finland is not short of is wood :D :D ).
Get the lifting points as close to positions where the fibreglass turns vertically ( wheel arches , sills etc) and give the chosen area's a good tap ( fist / knuckles is fine) to make sure it gives a good dull thud. You'll hear the difference between thin and thick areas without trouble. Then as the weight is taken, stand adjacent and watch / listen. I'm be faily confident with such an approach.

With luck, someone will come on line before 10:00 who knows best practice. Fingers crossed.

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Hello

I have always jacked my excel using the body and have NEVER used the chassis as a jacking point. I've used jacks under the suspension but only to compress/manipulate the suspension. My '76 Elite chassis was bent by mechanics using a jack directly on the front chassis cross member to lift the car -so Ive never used the chassis to jack a Lotus since. The chassis is basically sheet metal and will bend if you are stupid with jacks.

As MetBlue says, the areas where the floor converges/TURNS by the wheel arches and sills are dense with glass matting and are therefore very strong. Use flat hardwood planks at least 150 mm wide 25 mm thick and 400 -500 mm long on top of the jacking pads. You can use good soft wood planks but expect to hear CRACKING noises as the soft wood compresses ...this is the sound of the wood compressing, the fibreglass will not crack.

My Clan (pictured in the Avatar) is a monocoque fibreglass body designed and prototyped by Lotus engineers. It is SO stiff that if you raise the jack high enough under one corner of the body (again using the flat floor including the wheel arch/sill corner area), the whole of one side will lift raising both wheels off the ground!

In summary, as long as you spread the load using suitable planks, it is safe to raise the Excel by the body floor (incorporating the corners). Use common sense when selecting the load bearing area of the floor and all will be well.

And if you fear the chassis will fall out under it own weight (plus engine) if the car is lifted only by the body then don't do THIS .....

..of course it won't! :lol:
Last edited by Lotus-e-Clan on Mon May 04, 2020 08:33, edited 1 time in total.
Peter K

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

Maybe I'll just clarify my earlier post by saying my front cross member has been braced by Spyder when chassis was refurbed, and at the rear, I lift on the Diff, then placing axle stands under the chassis on the verticals where the diff bottom legs mount (with suitable wood blocks between.
Agreed jacking on the chassis direct needs caution.

Peter : I need to know more about your Clan. I'd assumed it was Hybrid you'd created. Didn't realise it had the hand of Hethel involved.
Tony

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Yes, I've had many a 'word' with mechanics /fitters about jacking the Lotus since.

For those that use garage services a lot, or when you go to tyre fitters who don't use a flat four post lifting ramp, then best to keep a set of jacking planks in the boot! If you make a set of hardwood lifting planks then (to be fussy) it is a good idea to slightly radius the edges of the wood to reduce stress-raisers...not so important with softwood planks but expect jokey/sarky comments from the mechanics when they creak under compression from the jacking lugs.... :roll:
Peter K

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

Just been reading Wikipedia on the Clans. I do recall now as kits ( I bought my Elite in mid 80's after reasonably extensive research into various kit cars).
Peter : I'm sure you must have a thread somewhere on the site that details the specifics of your car ( seems there were many variants over the years).
Can you post a link? I searched "Clan" and got 50 pages of hits!!!! I'm patient, but not that patient.

(Sorry to hi-jack your thread Osku).

Tony

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

Car is up and this is how it looks.

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/t ... ent-886258

Still the photos are hard to add here so I put them on thelotusforums.

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

By the way I have Protech shocs at the moment.
I will put a picture if them on thelotusforums.
Just if you have any knowledge on the qualiti and propper adjustment.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

MetBlue wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:40
Just been reading Wikipedia on the Clans. I do recall now as kits ( I bought my Elite in mid 80's after reasonably extensive research into various kit cars).
Peter : I'm sure you must have a thread somewhere on the site that details the specifics of your car ( seems there were many variants over the years).
Can you post a link? I searched "Clan" and got 50 pages of hits!!!! I'm patient, but not that patient.

(Sorry to hi-jack your thread Osku).

Tony
Hello Tony, I don't recall writing too much specifically about my Clan on this site except that I do refer to the Clan often (ie I go on about it ad nauseam) within threads on this site, so you may be picking up that on a search - hence loads of hits. :lol:

Not sure if you can read this link to my 'readers car thread' as it is on an Imp club members forum and you may have to register first ..but here is a link to my Clan's thread on the Imp forum. It is somewhat incomplete and sporadic ...not a definitive write-up..and I change things a lot because the Clan is my 'project/development/experimental' car! My Excel is rather more original in comparison!

Link to Peter's Clan on the Imp Club Forum

and here is the COC web link

Clan Owners Club web site

I will never sell the Clan - good job too because folk wouldn't understand the electrics - nor the cooling system!
Last edited by Lotus-e-Clan on Mon May 04, 2020 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
Peter K