83 Excel from from Finland

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Osku
Regular Poster

Re: 83 Excel from from Finland

Post by Osku »

I have the light projector working and the optical cables give light. the effect on the switches is realy small on the other switches and the light switch do not seem to be transparent on the symbol place. How is it with the rest of the people do that make an difference by you. Mine I can paractically see only when the garage is completly dark and the rest of the lights dimmed to minimum. Was it like that from factory or schould I change the optic cables for new ones and maby slightly thicker?

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

Now I have read it, it just do not clarify it to me, is the issue that the colars should be closer or what becaus I did experiment with that and got a mor spot light dot on the symbols räthat where beter illuminated is that what he referes to here or what.

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

I have been concidering to change the steering wheel on my 83 Excel. I have the nice looking Personal Guigaro at the moment. It looks nice but all the warning lights are hidden so I have found my self driving fore ages with the blinker on and that is the main reason. What other steering wheels have you guys tryed?
The only one ones I found fast that solves the problem was the Luisi two spoke.
I do not like it completly but better than the new looking with a lot of curbes and unnececery forms.

So my first instict was to make a custom centerbos by 3D printing and pull some black leather over the print. 3D model picture attached both from bos and complet set.

What do you think is this the way to go or is there a better aproximately 350mm wheel for the car?

Last edited by Osku on Tue Feb 02, 2021 14:43, edited 2 times in total.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

I like two spoke steering wheels even though they are slightly more "flexible". Your idea for the centre boss is excellent! Does the '83 Excel have and aluminium boss to bolt the wheel straight on to?

Pete

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

The bolt pattern fits directly on the guigiaro boss that is there right now.

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

I took the seats appart from my car, atleast almost.
I would like to get the back rest cloth of but I do not seem to figure how it is done correctly. The head rest is confusing me. it do not seam to get it off without the stiching being ripped open. Is this the case, surely not or?

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

Here the the picture ofvwhat I talk about.
Last edited by Osku on Tue Jan 05, 2021 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

The headrests do seem to be a problem.when I had my seats recovered (in leather) they incorporated a seam down the centre of the rear surface of the headrest in order to fit the new cover.i wasn’t particularly happy about it, but accept it may have been necessary.

I’m sure I have read somewhere that it should be possible to compress the headrest foam sufficiently to remove the cover. They must have had to do this to fit the covers originally unless some of the stitching was able to be completed in situ.

Cheers, Richard

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

It would make the sewing to gather much easyer as I could use a sewingmachine with the rag attached to the frame I have to opt for sewing by hand.

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

The headrest frame is steel with some 15mm of foam so I doubt it can be compressed, maby there is a trick to dismantel it and take it out in pieces but what I tried to look in through the gaps does not srem the case.

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

I have un stiched the side polsters of the back rest from the drivers out side and passener inside. I have sewed seams throgh the bottom of the velour to get a support fabrick on the back. The idea is that I switch the driver an passanger seat to extend the life span even a bit more. I also pre-emptivly stiched supports on the one I took from the passanger side.

I also fixed the hole the best I could, or maby I still work a bit on it but it is pretty good already.

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

I did come to the conclusion that I had to openthe seems a bit to get it off. I wonder how they did it officially as this is not the way, at least I do not think so.

Last edited by Osku on Tue Jan 05, 2021 23:00, edited 3 times in total.

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

Here the result of the seat work. Not perfect but better than I hoped fore concidering the starting point. Now it should hold a good bit more.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Well done. Good work
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!