83 Excel from from Finland

General Excel discussions. You may also post Eclat and Elite information here. If there is enough call I will set up new categories or even a new BB for them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Osku
Regular Poster

Re: 83 Excel from from Finland

Post by Osku »

As I do not get any other suggestion from yuo guysbI will go with the 85-90 deg test for the cam belt.
I was yesterday relizing some pretty dodgy wiring. Several Abiko (the cheap and colorfiul kind) extensions and then the main cabel was wraped around the sub frame and is extended and looks realy dodgy. So seems I'll have to solder a new main cable today. Why do people do things the wrongway as it takes an nearly as much trouble and the reult is shit. well good thing I found this too beforr the car burned due to a dodgy main cable.
I just wonder what other buetuful solutions the previous mechancs have im store for me down the line wich I have not yet had the plesure to stumble on too yet.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Elan SE
Colour: Calypso red, white
Year: 1985

Post by Alan_M »

Osku wrote:As I do not get any other suggestion from yuo guysbI will go with the 85-90 deg test for the cam belt
Not sure if you’ve noticed the search function at the top of the page. If you put cambelt tension into this you will see the topic has been pretty well covered and you should find the info you need. Have a read of the previous posts and then ask anything you don’t understand. Also as this is engine related, probably best to ask in that part of the forum.

To help

search.php?keywords=Cambelt+tension&ter ... mit=Search

And this recent one helps clarify use of Krikit.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=11222

Lotus Jim
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Pearl White
Year: 1990

Post by Lotus Jim »

1990 Lotus Excel
Previously Owned - 1991 Lotus Excel Celebration in Red
1998 Lotus Elise S1

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

I did realize the search function but I used the wrong word I searched for timingbelt not cambelt.So I fond nothing and as a lot of forums have bad search engines I thought that would be the reason.
Thanks mates I will read it through.

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

I did read the stuf now I desided to compare it to the timing belt to some other cars in my garage with the twist test and I will try to order the tool to check how far of I was till then I will just keep an eye out dayly on the belt to make sure its fine it cant be far of but better safe than sorry.
I did alredy start the engine and now I just have to check the ignitiontiming and se if any of the seals I installed is leaking. Then the airfilter with hose and hood. Then that should be it for this time.
Thought I already found the next unsatisfactory part in the car. When I removed the bottom cover to the dash to get acces to the accelerator cable end wich had flipt when I had the carburators of. Well the panel was self made and the quality was in line with the rest of the repairs done previously. I mean how hard is it to manu facture such a panel from something out of the hardware store if no orginal is awailable. Well obviosly too hard as the previous mechanic had just cut it out of cupboard the type jou find inpackaging and then teiped some blue welvet teip on that, I must say briliant choise of material.....NOT!
Have to fix that one too.

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

.Now I found one more ticking noise in the car wich I had searched for some time it came and went and had worried me a bit especially when it came back after fixing the auxciliary shaft sprocket. The sound appeared to come frome the right side of engine bay and sounded scarely like valve or big end tick. Thank god it was not. Actually what it was, was the break servo valve. After changing that the tick went a way. just wondering had any one else experiensed the same?
This is the first car I have had a noisy breack servo valve.
I confirmed this by changing between the old part and the new replacement and consistantly the old one made noice.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Yes well-spotted!

The ticking servo valve is a common fault.

But it usually takes other folk a lot longer to track it down.
Peter K

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

Today I made a trip of aproximately 300km and no noise from valve so that problem is fixed.
The carbs needs a tuneup I will look into geting that sorted as next but on that one I will need som help. I already had one pretty competent guy look into that and he did not imidiately find whats wrong but basically the car seems to get way tomuch fuel on low rpm(up to 3000) afterthat one it opens up. We where in a hurry and at that point we also thoght the engine would be the older one so all that ended up causing the engine not to get the perfect tune.
Does some one have the correct nozle sizes for the 160 and 180 hp newer engines. Just so I could check that it is apriximately right.
I still do not know if I have the 160 or 180 hp engine so have to try.
I ask this as I suspect that the previous mecanic could have e.g. just mounted the carbs from the 160hp old engine straight to the newer one that could even be an hc engine so the nozles could be wrong. Looking at the quality of work in the rest of the repairs im even suspicious has he left parts out from the carbs or drilled the nozles or alike.

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

Osku wrote:I still do not know if I have the 160 or 180 hp engine so have to try.
I ask this as I suspect that the previous mecanic could have e.g. just mounted the carbs from the 160hp old engine straight to the newer one that could even be an hc engine so the nozles could be wrong. Looking at the quality of work in the rest of the repairs im even suspicious has he left parts out from the carbs or drilled the nozles or alike.
What colour camshaft covers do you have? Generally the black ones are 160bhp, red ones 180bhp. What year is your car?
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Tanz wrote:
Osku wrote:I still do not know if I have the 160 or 180 hp engine so have to try.
What colour camshaft covers do you have? Generally the black ones are 160bhp, red ones 180bhp. What year is your car?
It's an 83.
Peter K

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

I was in the prosess of ordering new tieres for the Ecel and it seems that besides China tires only toyo and BF Godrich suplies. Tires for the 14" speedline. Do anybody know any better tires and what size do you sugest? I was planing on 205/60 14" front and 225/60 14" back does that sound resonable?
I would put a lower profile but then the diametre becomes smaller, looks maby strange and the speedo will be even worse, thought it could actually start to show kilomeegers on the mph scale as it is alredy 20% of with the 205/60 14" all around. Yes I will calibrate the speedo and I have ordered a second hand speedo. So I will change that for a start and then dismantle my old speedo and se what it has inside and look how to calibrate it.

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

Yes it is an 83 but the engine is newer look at the valve covers they are from the newer engine despite the color the old engine from 83 has different valvecovers that much I have figured out. So that leaves the 160 and 180 hp newer engines as posible motors.

Thecpictures for this are still on the other forum as it is hard to post pictures here.
Here is the link

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/t ... 3#comments

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

is the black covers like on the pictures orginaly painted as they looked a bit sloppy so I suspected some one had messed around with them but if they are orginal and from this engine they are black at the moment so that would suggest 160hp then. But parts on the engine are mixed as we can se on the auxciliary shaft and sprocket.

Osku
Regular Poster

Post by Osku »

What by the way changed between the engines?
Pistons?
Cams both or just one or the other?
Valve size?
Can one messure any of those without tearing the engine apart?
Can I e.g. mesure the lift of the cam to findout wich one I have or can I put an endocope in throught the spark plug to see some forms of the piston to identify it?

Doc Si
Regular Poster
Model: 86 SE
Colour: RED
Year: 1986

Post by Doc Si »

One cap on the radiator header tank means that is a low comp, non-SE engine by my understanding, black cam covers appropriate,