Replacing a Steering Rack

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Sirclip
Senior Poster
Model: Excel Celebration
Colour: Marque Lotus
Year: 1991

Replacing a Steering Rack

Post by Sirclip »

Just ordered a reconditioned rack from those good chaps at Lotusbits and I'd be grateful for any suggestions regarding how to remove the old rack, plus any pearls of wisdom anyone might have on the subject.

Mine is a 1988 SE with air conditioning (even if the air con isn't currently working :cry: ). I've now replaced all the other power steering components, pipes included. Any help will be gratefully received.

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Re: Replacing a Steering Rack

Post by AndyC »

1) Remove the steering joints from the ends of the rods.
2) Remove the bonnet (not essential but saves a lot of awkward reaching)
3) un-mount the oil cooler from the subframe.

Beyond that, I'd say the rest is logical in terms of splined shafts, fluid pipes etc.
You'll be able to get it out upwards through the engine compartment, the rod ends just add enough length and mass to make it (more) awkward, and the oil cooler limits movement. The bonnet being off will enable you to stand closer to your work rather than off to one side.

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

Lotusbits told me it could only be done by removing the engine. But then it turned out the engine needed rebuilding anyway...
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Definitely easier with engine out but it's also possible with engine in.

When i swapped mine (89SE) about 12 years ago I got the rack out through the driver's side wheel arch. It just about passes through the chassis front struts IIRC. It was definitely a faff but it saves lifting the engine.

The awkward bit is the relatively long splined pinion (steering) shaft sticking out of the rack and getting that clear past the chassis members and out through the wheel arch.
Peter K

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

I unbolted the oil cooler and moved it out of the way so as to bring the steering rack up through the engine bay. Its a bit like one of those Chinese puzzles - as I was laying under the car twisting and turning the rack, it fell out the bottom!!

Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

Sirclip
Senior Poster

Post by Sirclip »

Thanks to all above for your replies, much appreciated and very helpful. In addition, a nice chap at Lotusbits suggested that I call him, which I did of course.

I think I'm mentally prepared for a lot of wiggling now :shock: . When the rack arrives and the temp returns to a reasonable value I'll get to it.

KevW
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1992

Post by KevW »

I used the over the top of the offside wing route. In addition to removing the bonnet, track rods ends and moving the oil cooler I also removed the oil cooler plinth, taking the opportunity to give it a clean and repaint.

When it came to fitting the Lotusbits recon rack it took me and my mate about 3 hours one afternoon, sweating in the baking sun to cajole the thing back into place. If I hadn't personally taken the old rack out via the same route I would have thought it impossible to get it in again. So yes it can be done, even by an unqualified eejit like me, just be prepared for a lot of jiggling to and fro. It really does help having a pair of hands at each end of the rack.
Kev W no.282

Sirclip
Senior Poster

Post by Sirclip »

Thanks Kev, up through the engine bay and over the o/s inner wing seems to be a popular method. My only concern is that I have an A/C pump in the way, so I may have to use one of the other routes suggested. I'd rather not have to take the A/C pump off. Martin.

smithersoli
Senior Poster
Colour: Pacific Blue
Year: 1986

Post by smithersoli »

Make sure you check the rod ends on the end of the rack (inner ends of the tie rods) for wear as well.

I purchased a replacement rack for mine because of play at the wheel and it was only when I got it out of the car did i realise that the ball was moving around inside the joint and that was my issue.

If you need it i have one good one spare. (along with a low mileage rack)

barker_001
Senior Poster
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1990

Post by barker_001 »

+1 for checking the inner track rod ends first. After several worsening advisories for steering play, I checked and there was significant play in the inner joint on one side. Changed the track rod (about £40 from PNM if I recall) and the play disappeared after that.
Bryan

1990 Excel SE

"Look, there's a Ferrari..."

Sirclip
Senior Poster

Post by Sirclip »

Thanks for the info regarding track rod ball joint wear, but I wanted to replace the complete rack so I could be sure that no other problems would remain.(at least, with the steering!).

Sirclip
Senior Poster

Post by Sirclip »

OK, I fitted the recon rack this weekend. What a lovely job! - Since the car has air con the 'popular' removal route (by lifting it over the O/S front inner wing) wasn't possible for me, since the air con pipes were in the way. So I used Tanz's suggestion and 'extracted' it from the bottom. If the rack's pinion shaft had been 1mm longer, I'm sure this wouldn't have been possible!

I had to ask very nicely for help from my better half, without which I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to do it.

Anyway, I noticed that the new/recon rack has a stiff point at the centre point (it's fine either side of centre). Does anyone else have/hed this issue, and does it loosen up after some use ?

AndyLotus
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Pacific Blue

Post by AndyLotus »

Hi,
I have recently replaced my rack. Lotusbits did the recon on my own rack which was leaking fluid into the gaiters.
Like you I have found the steering stiff after fitting.
It also had a new pump 6 months previously and that was fine with the old rack.

The stiffness does feel unpleasant and it won't self centre. It has improved with few miles after initially being very stiff but still not as nice as it was
I spoke to lotusbits and they reckoned it would take a good few hundred miles to free up.

We shall see......

KevW
Senior Poster
Year: 1992

Post by KevW »

The rack I fitted was supplied by Lotusbits and felt perfect from day one.
Kev W no.282

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green

Post by AndyC »

They should ideally be fine from first use, but as wit anything there will be slight variance. If it's as simple as overly tight due to shimming/ adjustment then that should ease off but may take a while, if it's in one place/ couple of places then that could be a slight high on the rack inter-playing with tight adjustment, or more seriously a bent pinion.
Another possibility (and it just cropped up on an Esprit on TLF) is the tightness not being in the rack, it being in the UJ instead. I'm guessing that nothing has changed (orientation, distance of the splines etc, not suddenly left to rust in one position), so that can hopefully be ruled out.

I'd suggest checking whether any other tight spot is present (in addition to centred), and if there is then check for any excessive play when mid way between tight points.