Fuel or ignition problem

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

tonypoll
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: BRG
Year: 1992

Re: Fuel or ignition problem

Post by tonypoll »

If you are changing the fuel filter, and its the bowl type, I found it almost impossible to correctly re-fit the rubber o-ring when the fuel filter was still inside the boot. I found this out after switching on the pump and had the unpleasant experience of petrol splashed around right next to the battery terminals.
After numerous failed attempts I completely removed the whole fuel filter from the car and was able to easily reassemble it with the rubber gasket properly located.
The only trouble with removal and replacement of the fuel filter is that you need the arms of an orangutan, since you must simultaneously hold the bolt inside the boot and the nut in the wheel arch. Or get someone to help you!

swiftcruiser
Senior Poster
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by swiftcruiser »

When I was restoring my Excel, even though the original pumped ticked, the inline fuel filter replaced during recommissioning, started to run car and was let down big time with exactly the same fault you described. Having retrieved car back to workshop, even though pump ticked decided to change. At the time unable to obtain an SU replacement as Burlen were having trouble sourcing parts. HOWEVER "Paul Matty" came to the rescue with a German made exact replacement that was a lot less money than the SU . Excel has performed OK since and have gone on and purchased pumps as SU replacements for other cars.
Hope this helps
Regards

Gracie
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SA
Colour: Green
Year: 1987

Post by Gracie »

Hi Shaun, another vote for the fuel pump as the issue, after numerous similar experiences and when the socket wrench 'twat' the pump fix (a technique that was effective for far too long!) failed I too opted for the Lotusbits electronic pump - an immediate fix :)
Best Wishes
Graham

Phantasm
Senior Poster
Colour: Silk Red
Year: 1992

Post by Phantasm »

I replaced my fuel pump from aftermarket to an SU and caused a similar problem. I ran new hoses and upon installing the hoses managed to kink one. Worked great the day I installed, then the performance suffered as it took a bend. Not likely your issue, but could be if the line is choking your supply. Regardless, be mindful of this when installing new, if you go that route, and find you have to change up where connections are located. Replacing with a like item reduces this risk of course.
-Bill
1991-92ish Lotus Excel SE Silk Red
2009 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited 4X4
2015.5 Volvo V60 T5
Previous: 2005 Toyota Prius, 2002 Nissan Maxima SE 6 speed, 1988 Toyota 4Runner, 1989 Toyota 4Runner, 1995 Dodge Neon, 1986 Ford Mustang