Elite restoration begins!

General Excel discussions. You may also post Eclat and Elite information here. If there is enough call I will set up new categories or even a new BB for them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1982

Re: Elite restoration begins!

Post by Pete Boole »

Hoping to get the engine hoist out on Thursday to see what touches what. The prop will defo need modifying to suit the Salisbury diff - I've already had a look at it. Got to order more white/red wire now for the start relay cut-out!

Pete

Excel SA
Junior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Post by Excel SA »

Had a quick look yesterday - I only have an extra plastic cover for the gear shifter mechanism - the bit with the gear numbers/letter on it - happy to send that to you if required.

Not sure I can help much with the wiring either - there's nothing plugged into the 9-pin connector - even the wiring to what I think is the light for the gear numbers is a hack job like everything else on this car....

Neil.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Hi Neil - thanks for the offer of the plastic cover - it's that bit which is broken on mine. I'll let you know tomorrow if I need it after I've checked to see if the box will fit in the chassis :roll:

Pete

Excel SA
Junior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Post by Excel SA »

No problem - have good access to my chassis right now, so if you need details/measurements on the chassis or the mounting plates or the mount let me know.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Got the ZF 'box under the car today. It will fit! Notice I didn't say it fits - :roll:. The Excel chassis is subtly different to the Elite - the parallel central "spine" of the Excel chassis is about 40mm shorter to allow the fitment of the later (longer) gearboxes. So I need to do one of two things to get it in - machine the top of the tail-housing to give clearance in the chassis end plate or replace the whole tail-housing with a shorter one from a different car. It turns out (Google to the rescue!) that Jags of the same period had shorter tail-housings as they did not use a mechanical speedo drive like the Excel (the Excel box was fitted to Sherpa vans). More research/phone calls to make next week, but basically - it's going in!

Pete