New member - new owner

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Re: New member - new owner

Post by MetBlue »

I've heard about the seat bolts being stressed but TBH, I can't understand this. It would be different if the seat belt was anchored on the seat, like many moderns, but not on our cars.
In a frontal, all your weight is taken on the seat belt. Only the weight of the seat will load the seat bolts and that ain't much for 4 off 8 mm bolts in shear. On recoil, the seat back will fail long before the front bolts break in tension (IMO).
Happy to hear others logic if seen differently, but I'll take some convincing.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Excel SA
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Post by Excel SA »

Oi_Oi_Savaloy wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:35
Richard

I was thinking of something like this?

https://www.jamiltonupholstery.co.uk/pr ... K4QAvD_BwE

I'd use strips of that under the actual rubber base to support the whole lot. Just an idea.....whether it works in practice.....remains to be seen.

My other thought, along the same lines as to use cable ties. I've got some v v strong (bought them from a tractor/farmer's spares place near me) ones that might be an alternative.
I've done something like this on my seats - will post it up on my build thread in the next day or so. Both my seat suspension rubbers had split - looks like it starts tearing from the back of the seat. I did remake my own version of the suspension rubber as well.

Thread updated to include my changes: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11679&start=360

Neil.

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

Most important for the seat bolts are the underbody washers, on a rear end crash the front bolts under tension can shear the washers through the fibreglass so you need the widest and thickest washers that will fit.

Dave the cog.

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Green

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

Thanks guys - looking at various threads for ideas - in particular yours about the seat restoration. Need to understand how fibreglass works too now. Could i buy carbon fibre weave and use that instead perhaps? (just interested to hear - the cost will probably much more in favour of fibreglass).

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

Last night a friend of mine dropped off his dehumidifier. I set it up on the driver's seat (sat on a bit of marine ply so it's level) and left it running overnight with all the door's closed (of course).

I'm going to leave it running for the rest of the day before checking it. And overnight tonight and all tomorrow too no doubt.

At the moment it's too unpleasant to even sit in the car for more than 30 secs (wet bum!) so getting it dry is the priority.

I've already fed the leather and I'll do it all again once it's dehumidified. Then it's get the seats out to repair and clean and inspect the interior with a bit more room to move about in.

Got to get the dash out too .....but once it's dry I'm going to take stock - see what works and what doesn't. Frankly the dash can stay in, even though it's not very pretty, at this stage, if the majority of things work. If it ain't (mechanically!) broke, don't fix it imo.....

Once that's been assessed I need to tackle the passenger door - the frame is not good - needs replacing.

I've then got to change a sticking jet in the right hand carb (the one nearest the front of the car on the driver's side). Which makes me nervous tbh.

And after that.....it's give it the once over (brakes, axle, general assessment), change the cambelt and then MOT it.

Easy. :)!

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

The dehumidifier is a great idea - the warmth it generates inside the car will accelerate the process as well. Making good progress!

Pete

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

Had another inch of water out of the car this morning, I've still got the dehumidifier running - the car is definitely less wet but there is still a way to go. The leather is holding up....no change to the texture/look/feel. As I said in an earlier post - I'll be giving it another feed once the drying out has finished.

I'd like to repair the dash if possible - have a I seen somewhere someone effecting a repair by essentially heating up the peeled back elements in order to make them more malleable and then bringing the sides together to glue them? I was thinking of doing that but buying some velcro to put underneath too to try to keep the sides together and help the glue.

Oi_Oi

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Oi_Oi_Savaloy wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 08:47
This is what I'm talking about (the brake servo sensor I think?);

It'll be a generic cap and switch I'm hoping - I'll have to try and find that end and put a new one on too from the wire side (that goes into the car).
That’s just a brake fluid level warning sensor/wiring, nothing to do with servo.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Previous discussion on stainless seat bolts - viewtopic.php?p=89495#p89495

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

Oi Oi. do not bother with Carbon Fibre, it really needs oven cooking to get to strength. Fibreglass with resin is good enough, but for seat bolts just use big washers on the underside of the body.

Dave the cog.

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

It's been a manic 10 days or so with work including a trip to London and just generally things are alot busier on that front at the moment. Perhaps there's more confidence out there, let's hope so.

It was only yesterday that I finally got the car on to the ramp - it was make or break time tbh - although I've shown you pictures it doesn't tell the whole story.....there's quite an investment needed in the car, in no particular order;
carb gasket kit
new carb jet as it's sticking on the carb nearest the front of the car
new passenger window frame
some special glue (?) to re-attach the weather strip that covers up the fibreglass join
webbing to fix the drivers seat that's collapsed
new passenger doorlock
a reflock of the dashboard - really bad on the passenger side don't think the existing leather will be repairable
new tyres all round
new wiper
new headlight motor I think on the passenger side - but need advice on what to look for
new headlights both or perhaps they'll dry out?
new headlight backing ring on the drivers - the steel ring that is riveted to the body that the headlight is attached to - are they even a thing? 3d print something perhaps?
new ventilation I think - need to take the dash off to investigate
new waterpump or re-seating of waterpump as it's leaking
the petrol gauge moves, but shows full, even though we know it's not full by any means when I turn the ignition on so that's something to look at
new air intake pipe - the long snake thing that attaches to the air box - do I have to have that? is it to aid torque characteristics or something - like the peugeot 205 gti's engine? or can I simply replace it with something less long?)

And that was just from a brief inspection, noting, looking around as I've been doing bits and pieces on the car.....drying it out mainly......and then there's the paint......that needs a professional (or experienced) eye to have a look at. But my plan there is get the car an mot and then bring it to some meets to get some different owner's opinions - see what you guys think.

Please do bear in mind it's been sat outside for at least 4 years, perhaps longer under a cover that didn't do a brilliant job. It was passenger-side on to the weather hence so many issues on that side. So far it's been driven about 25 yards in my possession, it changes gear no problem, it brakes no problem (there's obviously noise from lack of use) but it definitely stops and then it's been wheeled into the back of the shed.

So today we had 30 mins at the end of the day to pump the tyres up and wheel it forward onto the ramp. I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking. But I have to say - I was v pleased with the overall condition. I literally got it up on to the ramp and started taking pictures - didn't remove leaves or debris to make things look better - you're seeing what I saw as I walked under the car.

Next things to do are to clean up the rear axle and gearbox - it's difficult to tell if it's just a long term leak.....or something more serious. There's a hole in one of the short sections of exhaust that will need sorting but I'm hoping that that element isn't too difficult to find - someone has tried to weld it shut already once....and it's gone next to it so I'll see what can be done - but it's not massive disaster. the brake lines look in excellent condition, no weeping, no rust, the joins look in very good condition too. and overall the car was dry underneath. Plan is to wire brush everything that is appropriate and protect of course - not going to leave it like that underneath.

The exhaust manifold is loose to the head too, looks like it's lost one post (?) and the a screw is loose on another - so that'll need sorting but it's no big deal - couldn't get a picture of it though - camera wouldn't focus on it.

So there we go - I leave it to you to comment. If you spot anything....let me know. If you need me to get it up on the ramp again to take more pictures - let me know.

edited to make it slightly easier to read.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Couple of observations:

1) DHLA carbs have fixed jets, so from an operational point of view, they don't move.
Or do you mean that you can't unscrew one of the brass jets to inspect and clean?
Or are you referring to stuck idle adjustment screws, which are not jets?

2) picture 5:
It looks like the rear seat belt retaining brackets are rotten, especially the o/s one under the rear seat well (left one in picture 5), which is hanging down slightly on the centre tunnel side.
If spotted at MOT it will fail.
These can be replaced with stainless versions.

Otherwise, your snagging list isn't so bad. Not so much work or expense to make it a runner, if you ignore the cosmetics for a while. :D
Peter K

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

Peter

You're absolutely right - and alot of discussion was had about that seat belt thing with my friend - it's got to be fixed, but how - he was asking if there are replacements available - I wasn't sure.

And on the carbs.....I've no idea - I know absolutely less than nothing about their innards - just that there's a problem and the previous owner gave me a part that will fix it. I'll take a picture of it and post it....once I've found the part......!

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

Looks basically sound. Just needs lots of TLC!

Pete

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Oi_Oi_Savaloy wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:32
Peter

You're absolutely right - and alot of discussion was had about that seat belt thing with my friend - it's got to be fixed, but how - he was asking if there are replacements available - I wasn't sure.

Lotusbits and sjsports have them in stainless .

Couldnt find LBs link but have SJs

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and- ... U1359K.htm
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!