New member - Excel SA

General Excel discussions. You may also post Eclat and Elite information here. If there is enough call I will set up new categories or even a new BB for them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Excel SA
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Re: New member - Excel SA

Post by Excel SA »

Thanks Tony - no plan to de-seam the car at all - seams on the other side are fine! There was no black bumper strip n the car when I got it, so that will not be replaced. Not 100% sure how I'm going to manage to get a straight and consistent seam line though - the one on the door is all over the place.

Here's a pic of the inside - just behind he "B pillar. A couple of the clips I used to line things up are visible, and I put a layer of peel ply over the epoxy filler - it absorbs any excess epoxy and allowed me to smooth out the filler a bit better = less sanding later! It should result in an easier surface to apply the fiberglass reinforcement to. Still a few holes on the inside and outside to fix....

Neil.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Brilliant work Neil 8). I like the use of the welding pins to keep things together! I notice that your fans have irregularly spaced blades - I've seen that before - do you know the reason for this? Does it make them quieter or set up less resonance?

I think you can still buy the fibreglass strips for mounting the black waistline trim to the door skin - that would straighten things up on the door "seam"

I buy all my fibreglass stuff from Easy Composites!

Pete

Excel SA
Senior Poster

Post by Excel SA »

Hi Pete, those are cleco's - temporary rivets that are useful for clamping things together. No idea about the blades - that was as they came! I suspect it is something to do with noise - most car tyres have different sized blocks in their treads to get rid of any resonance, so assume something similar. The new fans do sound quieter an less rattly than the old ones - I have no gadget for measuring wind speed from the fans though!

The door seam wave is more up and down than in and out - is some of that too though. It's fairly obvious if you look down the side of the door and as a result of the previous repairs - will need to add in some filler and sand things back to straight - not so easy on a curve as you can see from the aluminium strips - will need to get creative.

There's a good supplier not too far from me that has the necessary fiberglass material I need - am on to my 3rd 1.3kg bottle of epoxy resin by now and have a good collection of fiberglass cloth - just need a vacuum system now!

Neil.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Elan SE
Colour: Calypso red, white
Year: 1985

Post by Alan_M »

Excel SA wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 08:25

will need to get creative.

Neil.
Some great work and I think creative must be your middle name !!

Excel SA
Senior Poster

Post by Excel SA »

Yet another weekend of fiberglass.....

As previously mentioned, the driver's side door had a bit of a twist at the top front corner in it which meant it didn't line up with the body, and would have taken a lot of body filler to rectify - adding body filler in thick doses is something I'm trying to avoid.

A weak spot seemed to be on the inner skin of the door, which had been damaged and repaired before, with some extra work on it by me recently. Worked out a plan, applied 4 layers of fiberglass on the inside as per the picture below, trying to include some of the bends, twists and turns to add in more stiffness. The picture was taken after the epoxy had cured for a day or so.

Closed the door, put in some spacers between the door and the body, used a clamp to twist it into position - I did over-twist it a bit expecting some rebound and then I moved onto other areas of the car that need attention.

All signs so far are showing it to have been pretty successful, but will leave it clamped for a few more days.

Then I moved onto starting the repair of the section just in front of the door where the seam and fiberglass were damaged and missing, two layers of fiberglass to get me to the basic shape required, then will fill and add material to the inside. The holes for the side indicator light was filled (will need to do the other side as well) and will be re-cut when I find suitable replacements - the originals are long gone, and the holes had already been adjusted for replacements.

The rear corner also had a chunk missing, so that repair was also started while I was fiberglassing and the mounting points for the radiator shroud were thickened up and aluminium standoffs cut and shaped to help hold it in position. Slowly onwards !

Neil.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

The twist may be common, my drivers door is similar with a gap a cat could get in, and my car has original paint !

Bash
You are only young once but you can be juvenile all your life !!

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

You realise you're going to have to bring it over here for us all to see eventually Neil! :D. Slow boat from SA?

Pete

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

I've added bits to both ends of my doors in an attempt to get the gaps smaller. I think with hind sight I may have gone too far - I'll find out when I finally come to fit them!

Pete

Excel SA
Senior Poster

Post by Excel SA »

Twist us hugely improved as can be see below when looking from the top - gap not exactly small, but not too bad compared to the other gaps.

Ha, Pete, by the time I'm finished we may have time travel :D

Not much can be added to the front of the door or it catches when it opens, but there is still the filler piece that fits in the body (Where the wires run through to the door) to install then I can fill out the body and get the gap sorted out. May well be adding a few mm to the back end of the door - that gap is rather large and the door can't move backwards or the lock latch starts to interfere. I also need to rebuild that bit of the body - I think I peeled a mm or two of fiberglass off the "B" pillar. And there are holes to fix still....

Neil.

Excel SA
Senior Poster

Post by Excel SA »

A view from inside the car of the repair just behind the front wheel. The softboard was damaged in the accident, so took that out - found a nest of bits that had fallen/been worn off behind the panel. The fiberglass reinforcing that was laid down during the build to bond the side of the car to wheel well didn't stick too well - will see what I can about that with better access.

Neil.