Aircon Condenser

Any special request go here.

Moderator: Board Moderators

n2oxide
Verified Poster

Aircon Condenser

Post by n2oxide »

Evening all,

Does anyone know where I can get an aircon condenser. No luck at Lotus or SJ who were last know stockists.
I've tried ordering the Hella part number on amazon and its NLA and nowhere on ebay either.
Alloy radiator manufacturers can't do them (if you understand condensers, you'd know why).

H E L P !

Thanks in advance

Perry

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Re: Aircon Condenser

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Do a key word search for condenser and you should find reference to one. Wife's calling so cant do it at the mo.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Sirclip
Senior Poster
Model: Excel Celebration
Colour: Marque Lotus
Year: 1991

Post by Sirclip »

Hi Perry,
I had exactly the same problem some time back (~2 years ago). The Hella part number is 8FC 351 039-091 but this needs some adapters to suit the existing pipse ends (from memory, they're called male 'O' ring adapters, but don't quote me). However, even this condenser is now discontinued. Another option, if you find find one, is the Hella 8FC 351 039-071. This is slightly smaller in width, but same thickness and height, so can be adapeted (once again, it needs the adapters mentioned above). In truth though, I think you will struggle trying to find one of those too. If I can find the invoice I'll come back and let you know where I bought mine from.
Martin.

Sirclip
Senior Poster

Post by Sirclip »

OK!
I might have some good-ish news...

I've just checked and I incorrectly stated above that another option was the 8FC 351 039-071, that was incorrect.It is in fact 8FC 351 039-011. Available on eBay for £48 !!!!!!

I don't want to mislead you, so please satisfy yourslef that it's correct before purchasing it, but I'm pretty sure that the 8FC 351 039-011 is the same as 8FC 351 039-091, but slightly shorter. You should be able to find the dimensional specs for both so that you can check yourself.

You'll need to get some little adapters. These have mushroom-shaped heads which seal against the inside of the existing captive nuts on the end of the A/C pipes and have small rubber o rings fitted under the lip of the mushroom head which then seals against the A/C condenser itself. I bought mine from the USA many moons ago, but I'm sure that they're available here too (the receiver dryer that I got from SJ Sports cars came with them as standard, so you could contact SJ and find out where you can get some from - good luck with that one :shock: ).

Hope to have helped. Martin.

DOC711
Junior Poster
Model: Exce SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1987

Post by DOC711 »

n2oxide wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 20:45
Evening all,

Does anyone know where I can get an aircon condenser. No luck at Lotus or SJ who were last know stockists.
I've tried ordering the Hella part number on amazon and its NLA and nowhere on ebay either.
Alloy radiator manufacturers can't do them (if you understand condensers, you'd know why).

H E L P !

Thanks in advance

Perry
Hey Perry

Just wondering what the outcome of this search was. My condenser is on its way out and living in Queensland it would be nice to have more than just a warm breeze!!!

Thanks , Kemal

n2oxide
Verified Poster

Post by n2oxide »

I managed to get hold of the last THREE original condensers from the stockist. They are No longer Available. They are NOT from any other car. They were made by HELLA for aftermarket installations during the 80's. It is exactly the same unit BUT the fittings are for R134 connections. No big deal when the aircon man comes to make me new hoses. Happy to sell one (as I want to keep a spare), but I paid a fortune for them...

Perry

Sirclip
Senior Poster

Post by Sirclip »

Hi, I think you'd be better off ordering the Hella item on fleabay (
8FC 351 039-011). Its only slightly shorter and the original pipework will fit OK if you get the little adapters that fit into the pipe ends.

n2oxide
Verified Poster

Post by n2oxide »

That one has different connections that are not compatible with R134A refrigerant seals.
Trying to find the earlier specification refrigerant (R12) anymore (at least in the UK) is unlikley.

Sirclip
Senior Poster

Post by Sirclip »

I converted mine from R12 to R134, replacing all the old seals with HNBR type, which is recommended for R134.

It also has the Hella condenser with identical pipe connections as the Hella 8FC 351 039-011. Hence HNBR seals (R134a) are available and suitable for the Hella condensers. - QED

shaunw
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit GT3
Colour: CALYPSO

Post by shaunw »

If the old one is still in one piece its not too hard to get one made from scratch. Cost was a out £250 IIRC

Shaun

robertverhey
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by robertverhey »

DOC711 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 01:18
n2oxide wrote:
Evening all,

H E L P !

Thanks in advance

Perry
Hey Perry

Just wondering what the outcome of this search was. My condenser is on its way out and living in Queensland it would be nice to have more than just a warm breeze!!!

Thanks , Kemal
I’m in Sydney and found that a Holden Commodore from mid ‘80s was a perfect fit with outlets in exactly the right places
Robert Glacier Blue '87 SE

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

robertverhey wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 13:26

I’m in Sydney and found that a Holden Commodore from mid ‘80s was a perfect fit with outlets in exactly the right places
Any part number details?
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

robertverhey
Senior Poster

Post by robertverhey »

Hawaiis0 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 15:30
robertverhey wrote:

Any part number details?
Sorry i just wandered around the wrecking yard with my rusty Lotus one under my arm until I found one the same I recall it was a commodore, that’s about it!

DOC711
Junior Poster
Model: Exce SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1987

Post by DOC711 »

robertverhey wrote:
DOC711 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 01:18
n2oxide wrote:
Evening all,

H E L P !

Thanks in advance

Perry
Hey Perry

Thanks , Kemal
Only just saw this Robert. Thanks for the tip, VH, VK or VL sound about right?

robertverhey
Senior Poster

Post by robertverhey »

Hi I am not across commodore model numbers but I recall it may have been a commodore from the mid to late ‘80s..... robert