High level brake light

Post discussions on potential upgrades and modifications here, as well as documenting successfully implemented projects.

Moderator: Board Moderators

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

High level brake light

Post by bash »

After following a number of Excels on Pete and Pauline Booles Lotus run around the Peaks on LITPs original day, I realised how crap Excels brake lights are, and, the fact that they dont have a central high level brake light was very noticable, so.....
We also own a NC (mk3) Mx5 which has a high level brake light mounted just in front of the rear window which fits the bill perfectly. Rather than upset my wife I bought another one for £20 off the usual internet platform. There are two types of these lights on the NC, one having a longer base than the other but that doesnt matter when you have a dremel in your hand with a cutting disc. I didnt take any pictures when I did it so I'll describe what I did.
The light unit has two mounting bolts underneath it, I cut these off level with the base of the unit, I then made a cardboard template of the gap where I was going to mount it and cut the back off the unit to fit. The lights are LED and it is a sealed unit so cutting it about leaves it open to the elements, so I used body filler to seal it up, sanded and sprayed with Lotus best colour of Monaco white completed that bit. I didnt want to drill any holes in the boot lid so mounting it I used double sided number plate tape, I ran the cable inside the rear spoiler. The spoiler is hollow and has three large drain holes in it. I did drill one small hole, under the foot of one of the spoiler mounts where I ran the cable to inside the boot, sealing the mounts with silicon. The cable is then taped to the underside of the boot, down the hinge, and to the rear brake lights.
It works brilliantly, is cheap as chips and looks like it belongs.
Have fun.

Bash

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: High level brake light

Post by Pete Boole »

I especially like the "crystal" lens as well - better than red. Good addition Bash. Now you just need to add 400 LEDs to the SD1 light units :lol:

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

I refer you to clint eastwoods most famous quote, "a mans has to know his limitations". However, I do know a man with a 3d printer and an electrical 'bent'. Has anyone got a grotty rear light unit that needs free lodging for a possible prototype ?

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Excel SA
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Post by Excel SA »

There are a good few creative ways to change these lights popping up!

This has been done before - have a look at thishttps://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/t ... ent-912122. Too many wires for me to cope with!

Neil.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

That's the thread I had in mind!

Pete

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

I think that's the best solution I have seen - nice one Bash!
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Tanz wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 18:03
I think that's the best solution I have seen - nice one Bash!
Disagree. My full bar hooker magnet was better :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

You’ll be wanting progressive indicators like on Audis next!

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Funny how facebook groups come up with an idea isnt it, Im sure some of will know what I mean.
Bash

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Ditto again,........

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

bash wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 23:10
Ditto again,........
I guess someone has nicked your idea Bash?

To be fair, only honest people and academics quote their sources... and although it is rare, I've experienced mildly-dishonest academics pinching stuff off the net (esp Wiki) and using it unquoted within their lectures (students are the first to spot it mind you) that's why I tend to separate the two terms ... hahaha :roll:

So expect your original ideas to get pinched and not get referenced back to you Bash.

Pretty sure over the years, some of the ideas I've had about car stuff (here, and on the Imp forum) have been 'absorbed by osmosis' by other helpful posters and presented as their own original thinking.

That's OK because imitation is the sincerest form of flattery Bash, so lap it up! Similarly, telling what you know is an original joke and then hearing it back months, or years, later, is quietly satisfying too. :D
Peter K

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

You are right Peter, it was more of a dig at Facebook generally and the fact that people cant be bothered to do any research so everything is 'new' to them. Thats why forums are so good, the info is there for those that can be bothered to look.
Bash
Ps, why did the chicken cross the road ?
Pps, I think having a third light is a good thing so the more mx5 lights the better (other products are svailable)
Ppps, because kfc was on the chickens side

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

That's an original joke ...

so is this ...

Why do rams and goats like dairy food?

'cos they're butters.

OK, I don't expect to hear that one back anytime soon! At least my 7 yo granddaughter laughed, once she'd 'got it'. :roll:
Peter K

rogbmw
Junior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE

Post by rogbmw »

I just added a 3rd brake light today. How can I add pictures. It is a different light which I really like.

rogbmw
Junior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE

Post by rogbmw »

I just added a 3rd brake light today. How can I add pictures. It is a different light which I really like.