Moderator: Board Moderators

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Elite in Motor Sport March 1975

Post by Tanz »

Just come across this article in Motor Sport. I know its available in the Motor Sport archive and probably some book but thought I would scan it in anyway.

Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Re: Elite in Motor Sport March 1975

Post by richardw »

Great posts Phil - thanks for sharing them.

I particularly like the Sprint one!

Cheers, Richard

AndrewWebber
Regular Poster
Model: Elite S1 503, Plus 2, Europa '
Colour: Gold
Year: 1979

Re: Elite in Motor Sport March 1975

Post by AndrewWebber »

Great article. I found the comments about the diff ratio (4.1 v 3.7) on the 2.0l engine interesting. In that last winter during the rear end rebuild I changed from 4.1 to 3.7, this I definitely prefer in complete disagreement with the article but in agreement with the standard Lotus fitment at the time. I think, though, this comes down to an number of specific factors: I generally use the Elite to get to places and generally speaking our use of motorways / dual carriageways has increased since 1975, also generally cars now have higher gearing and often 6+ gears and as such I've got used to lower revs on longer journeys and find long term higher revving a bit 'intrusive'. Yes it is not as responsive without dropping a gear but I still find it keeps up easily with everyday traffic and the first gear is much more useful / useable with the taller diff. I'm also lucky enough to have the +2 (revs) and 'V8 Europa' (torque) for 'short fast blasts' around the block / track.

Andy