A place to reflect on the history of our cherished cars

Moderator: Board Moderators

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Is this the last Excel?

Post by richardw »

Another picture from Eddie Clarke (former Lotus employee) this time off a friend:

He hasn't confirmed the occasion or the car, but could it be the last Excel off the line? Lovely colour!

Cheers,Richard

don.hasi
Senior Poster
Model: Eclat S2.2 Riviera
Colour: Black
Year: 1982

Re: Is this the last Excel?

Post by don.hasi »

Yes, very lovely colour 8)

Interesting seats colour as well. Never seen before a two tone leather or are these just some protectors?

i don't know whether the said number of 3 for the silk reds included all interior variants as well, but this is very interesting stuff for the Lady.

Great find.
ImageImageImageImageImage

kkv444v
Regular Poster
Model: Ex-Excel
Colour: Silk Red
Year: 1992

Post by kkv444v »

I do not believe it to be the last car by chassis number but it might have been the last car signed off. There were, in fact, 6 Silk Red cars built. All 92MY, of course, but some were 1991 builds and some were 1992.
A great find, that picture.

kkv444v
Regular Poster

Post by kkv444v »

I have had a chance to check my records now and it is likely that the car above is the final chassis number and the car built for Hazel Chapman. I only have it recorded as being red, but it makes perfect sense that this is it.
It was not the final car built (completed), however.

Esprit2
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Esprit2 »

kkv444v wrote:I do not believe it to be the last car by chassis number but it might have been the last car signed off.
More to that point... The "Build Date" incorporated into the VIN number, and stamped on various number plates was the date the paperwork was 'pulled' to start the build process. No car existed then.

A number of things could have, and often did delay the completion of individual cars... like one car having more optional equipment, or another having to wait for out of stock components. It would be no surprise for the last car by VIN number order to not be the last car completed.

Regards,
Tim Engel

kkv444v
Regular Poster

Post by kkv444v »

Absolutely.
However, in this case I don't think that applies. It seems to me that it was quite deliberate to choose a VIN for the final car and then build other cars up to that number. But they didn't actually build that many and thus there is a gap where no VINs were used, and the final car (pictured) was registered a few months before the last cars were built.

1992MY Excels were all built to the same spec (other than paint, trim and CD changer options) so was the delay due to slow sales, lack of parts or other reasons at the factory, I wonder? The fact that a large proportion of the 33 cars were not registered until the second half of '92 despite over half being completed in' 91 suggests slow sales being the prime candidate but further reading might be required.

shaunw
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit GT3
Colour: CALYPSO

Post by shaunw »

I thought Hazel Chapmans car was gold. I saw it once at Donnington.

Shaun

Esprit2
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Esprit2 »

I wouldn't doubt that she had more than one. Colin certainly did. One of the benefits of being in charge.

Regards,
Tim Engel

Phantasm
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE

Post by Phantasm »

I'm just gonna say it's mine and show all my friends!!!!
Okay, I won't but man I like this pic a lot!!!
There's a 1 in 6 chance it is the Lady.
-Bill
1991-92ish Lotus Excel SE Silk Red
2009 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited 4X4
2015.5 Volvo V60 T5
Previous: 2005 Toyota Prius, 2002 Nissan Maxima SE 6 speed, 1988 Toyota 4Runner, 1989 Toyota 4Runner, 1995 Dodge Neon, 1986 Ford Mustang