Moderator: Board Moderators

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Lotus Eclat 1975 - 2020

Post by richardw »

The Eclat is 45 this year!

I've just uncovered a Lotus publicity shot of an Eclat 520. This is the first time I've seen the 520 without additional options:

(Courtesy of Eddie Clarke, former Lotus employee)

The sharp-eyed will notice that this car has the 13" steel wheels with chrome rim embellishers, a single tailpipe and no door mirrors. Presumably it was so fast it didn't need them!

I don't believe this picture appears in any of the books or magazines featuring the Eclat; it is certainly the first time I've seen the Eclat looking like this.

More Eclat pictures needed!

Cheers, Richard

CHRISYD
Senior Poster
Model: N/A
Colour: N/A

Re: Lotus Eclat 1975 - 2020

Post by CHRISYD »

Ive got a stiff card fold out brochure for the early eclat, and this pic is included along with some other angle shots of the same car. the pics are all colour and she is in Red with dark grey wheels. its a general spec, colour and engine details type brochure.
(if I could put pics on here I would, sorry)
I REALISED YOU CANT LIVE WITHOUT A LOTUS!!! Until now :oops:

Roadrunner
Regular Poster
Model: Eclat Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1984

Post by Roadrunner »

Not sure but I don't recall wing or side mirrors being obligatory until 1978. I do though remember drilling the wings of my cars before that date and bolting them on as a worthwile improvement. 'Halfords' bolt on side window frame mirrors were though common for those less willing to molest body panels!

theelanman
Regular Poster
Model: Elite, Evora, Elan, M100
Colour: Lagoon Blue

Post by theelanman »

are they the rimbelishers?....or are they the 2 piece wheel similar to that used on the later/mid +2
the early +2 came with silver painted steel wheels.....then these had black painted wheels with the rimbelishers......then they became a 2 piece wheel where the chrome rim was part of the wheel.....then there was the alloy option........these were all knock on tho'.....
I think you had to pay extra to get them swapped over to a 4 bolt stud pattern....lol

richardw

Post by richardw »

Here is a picture of Roger Putnam and Mike Kimberley with the Eclat, with Mount Fuji in the background. They were visiting Japan for the winter launch of the Eclat.

Cheers, Richard

richardw

Post by richardw »

theelanman wrote:are they the rimbelishers?....or are they the 2 piece wheel similar to that used on the later/mid +2
the early +2 came with silver painted steel wheels.....then these had black painted wheels with the rimbelishers......then they became a 2 piece wheel where the chrome rim was part of the wheel.....then there was the alloy option........these were all knock on tho'.....
I think you had to pay extra to get them swapped over to a 4 bolt stud pattern....lol
Hi Gareth,

I've checked the parts list - there is only one steel wheel listed for the Eclat 520 - B028G0001Z, and the rim embellisher is X026G0015ZC. The 026 prefix indicates original use on the Elan family; the 028 prefix isn't mentioned in my parts list.

Cheers, Richard

Edit: I believe the wheels are the same as those used on the Lotus Cortina.