Changing Cam Sprockets

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Changing Cam Sprockets

Post by Tanz »

While I'm sorting the Power steering (see other post) I decided to change the long overdue cam belt. The belt was last changed by Lotus bits when they did my exhaust and clutch. At the time, Dave said the cams looked very worn and should be changed at the next cam belt change. So I am changing them now and also the crack sprocket. The distributer sprocket looks OK to me - Guess it is easier to turn so wears less? The edges of the 'teeth' appear much sharper on the old spockets

Had to make a puller tool to get the Crank sprocket off

This is what my engine bay looks like at the moment!!

Hoping to put it all back together next weekend weather permitting
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Re: Changing Cam Sprockets

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Wow - that looks a huge amount of wear. What's your mileage for the record?
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Tanz
Senior Poster
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

Hawaiis0 wrote:Wow - that looks a huge amount of wear. What's your mileage for the record?

I think about 110,000 the last time I looked.
I don’t think it is unusual for the crank sprocket to wear. I seem to remember Angus having some issues a few years ago unless I imagined it.
Last edited by Tanz on Tue Oct 13, 2015 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

Bigvolvo
Regular Poster
Model: Excel Eclat
Colour: Red
Year: 1983

Post by Bigvolvo »

Yes, freaky amount of wear. These spockets would surely be case hardened- the cambelts must be abrasive. They have kevlar in them dont they?

amarshall
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

Tanz wrote:
Hawaiis0 wrote:Wow - that looks a huge amount of wear. What's your mileage for the record?

I think about 110,000 the last time I looked.
I don’t think it is unusual for the crack sprocket to wear. I seem to remember Angus having some issues a few years ago unless I imagined it.
Indeed - just around 100k miles too. It was so bad that a new belt was all but destroyed within a few hundred miles. Still haven't worked out if it was normal wear or a tensioning problem or a combination of the two.

The first indication that I had of the problem was a "chuffing" sound at idle from the damaged area of the belt.
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

Bigvolvo
Regular Poster
Model: Excel Eclat
Colour: Red
Year: 1983

Post by Bigvolvo »

having read up a little it seems the belts do contain Kevlar. Rounded tooth belts are thought to cause less tooth wear than the older square type. I wonder if occasional lubrication with something like graphite powder would lessen wear? So long as it doesnt degrade the belt.
On a separate note; how long will it be before there are engines without belts, chains, cogs or indeed cams? Perhaps the valves can be piezo electrically operated!?

amarshall
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

Bigvolvo wrote: On a separate note; how long will it be before there are engines without belts, chains, cogs or indeed cams? Perhaps the valves can be piezo electrically operated!?
They already exist in various engineering facilities, including one in Norfolk: http://www.parostech.co.uk/camless.htm

Renault have also tried a hydraulic system : http://scarbsf1.com/valves.html
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!