Changing Clutch - the most awkward way?

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

Oldtimer_Basis
Junior Poster

Changing Clutch - the most awkward way?

Post by Oldtimer_Basis »

Hi again. I hope, everyone is doing fine and driving well :D
I recently changed the Clutch of my Excel... and I can´t shake the feeling, that the are easier ways to do that than mine...

Soooo... first, I unbolted the Diff except the Axles - and pushed it back. Then I hooked up the Engine to a Lift, unbolted the Engine-Mounts, lifted the Engine a bit and fiddled the Mounts out of the Car, took off the upper Radiator Hose, the middle Part of the Exhaust, the Tranny-Mount and unbolted the Prop-Shaft. Next, I disconnected the Speedo and Clutch-Cylinder from the Tranny and then I pushed the whole Drivetrain forward - with everything else still connected to the Engine and the last bit of the rear of the Tranny then resting on the Tunnel.

I´m not sure if that works with the original Radiator-Fans in place, because they are quite tall.

After that there was enough Space to push the Prop-Shaft out of the Tranny. Then I unbolted the Tranny from the Engine, pushed the Engine further forward and got the Tranny out.

The only other Way that came to my mind was the classical Method of getting the whole Drivetrain out through the Engine-Bay - but that definitely is a lot more Work.

Nevertheless, the Excel is back on the Road again for a couple of Days, now, and is a lot of Fun, again, in spite of the abysmal Weather, here...

Marten
Regular Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red
Year: 1985

Re: Changing Clutch - the most awkward way?

Post by Marten »

Oldtimer_Basis wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 16:29
The only other Way that came to my mind was the classical Method of getting the whole Drivetrain out through the Engine-Bay - but that definitely is a lot more Work.
Once you've done it a few times (because Lotus ;)) pulling the engine/transmission is probably a lot more comfortable. Provided you have stuff like an angle adjustable hoist etc

Oldtimer_Basis
Junior Poster

Post by Oldtimer_Basis »

I just pulled the Engine once... well, there are Cars where this is more of a hassle, but I can imagine things that are more fun... like driving :lol:
Just out of curiosity: Everywhere you look, there are only a few Centimeters missing for just simply unbolting the Tranny and getting it out of the Excel... removing the Tranny from the "Original" - I mean the Eclat and Elite is easy, right?

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

The chassis on the Elite is different to the Excel - the "Y" section at the front is shorter, so probably no easier to remove the gearbox than it is with the Excel.

Pete

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Blimey, that sounds arkward. The engine can be separated from the gearbox and pulled out on a crane that you had out anyway, or, engine and gearbox together without touching the diff or prop.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Zaphod
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Blue
Year: 1990

Post by Zaphod »

I've taken mine out and put it in a few times over the last few years and found its not too much of a problem.
No need to touch the differential or prop shaft, the end of the prop is on a splined joint and just pulls out of the gearbox as the engine/gearbox moves forward.
Remove the front pipes from the exhaust rather than the middle box
I lifted the engine out with the crane at the side of the car not the front.
A load leveler is required!
Of all the things I have lost I think I miss my mind the most...

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1959 Austin Healey Sprite
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel