Excel Radiator Options?

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

rogbmw
Junior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Re: Excel Radiator Options?

Post by rogbmw »

I had the radiator replaced on the 88, and they used the large aluminum radiator from SJ. They also placed an increased capacity fan assembly.

JB455
Junior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by JB455 »

The GPI radiator was delivered last weekend. It looks like a decent quality piece. The welds look soooooo much nicer than I've seen in the pics of the Winner radiator. I'll post pics of it side by side with the old one when I get around to swapping them out.

JB455
Junior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by JB455 »

Installed the radiator a few days ago. Other than opening up the mounting holes to accommodate the larger mounting studs it went right in! It was just slightly shorter than the original, which allowed me to put rubber bushings on the studs, between the radiator and the fiberglass. Overall, impressed with the quality of the unit and the way it fit. Even more impressed that we have multiple options, sitting in stock, for a trio of models that were very limited in production 30-40 years ago!
The only unexpected issue is that the ears on the drain plug will hit the fiberglass of the body if you need to remove it- That'll be easily remedied by nipping off the portion that's an issue. I'll post pics at some point...