Bad oil leak

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

Monkeyzak
Junior Poster

Bad oil leak

Post by Monkeyzak »

I seem to have a bad oil leak. I can't see or feel where its coming from. I think it might be the bottom corner of my cam cover. There's a wee pool of oil in there. There's a fair bit of oil. I just can't see anything else. I don't think it's the main bearing seal. It's pouring from somewhere higher up and coming out further back. Don't know what else is in that area. No over heating issues so hopefully not cylinder head related

It's an LC I have so I know this is a known weak spot. Has anyone with an LC tried the rubber gaskets. Or am I better to try find later cam covers

It says you don't need sealant with them

More hope than anything, I thought I'd change these. Open to any suggestions. I know the LC is more prone to this type of thing.

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Re: Bad oil leak

Post by MetBlue »

Cam cover is most likely, but you can't simply upgrade to the later design.
Mike at LB has lots of experience in getting a seal a seal and knows / sells materials to fix.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

You need to clean off all the oil residue and then start the engine and watch for the oil leak - you might need a mirror/torch to see the lower cam cover. What year is your car? Early or late style cam housings?

Pete

Monkeyzak
Junior Poster

Post by Monkeyzak »

It's an 85 so a late LC. I've ordered the rubber ones today as I had good results on my mini with that one. I'll take them off once the new ones comes and see how straight they are. I just can't see where the oils coming from.
It's pouring along the passenger floor pan and dripping on the floor. I just can't see behind the bottom cam cover.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Late 85 LC may have the later flat cam covers already. These are less likely to leak, but can leak. The earlier saddle type are more prone to leaking.
Also if an early flat cover they have different seals for the screws that hold the cover on.

It could also be the front camshaft seal leaking. As Pete has said - clean the oil off and run engine to see where it’s leaking from.