Elite Engine Problem

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Elite Engine Problem

Post by Tanz »

A friend of mine is having a problem with the engine in his Elite.
The car was on the drive with the engine ticking over when there was suddenly 'a loud tinkering noise' so he quickly turned the engine off and pushed the car back into the garage. Then he removed the plugs and tried to turn the engine by hand. It would turn so far then lock solid. If he turned it backwards the same thing happened. Looking down the plug holes it locks when cylinders 2 & 3 are at the top. The car didn't back fire when it was running on the drive.
Any thoughts welcome
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

JB455
Junior Poster
Model: Excel
Year: 1985

Re: Elite Engine Problem

Post by JB455 »

I know this should be obvious, but worth asking- is the cam belt intact?
If he has a borescope I'd take a peek through the plug holes to see what is making contact. If not, and the belt is intact, I'd pull the cam covers off to see if any of the valves are sticking.

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Maybe the timing belt has jumped a tooth on the crank.
Check the timing mark alignments.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Tanz
Senior Poster

Post by Tanz »

JB455 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 21:05
If he has a borescope I'd take a peek through the plug holes to see what is making contact. If not, and the belt is intact, I'd pull the cam covers off to see if any of the valves are sticking.
Thanks for the reply: The cam belt is intact but very old and overdue to be changed. We removed the inlet manifold and inlet cam cover. All the valves appear to be moving on the inlet side but No 2 cylinder cannot be checked as when turning the engine over by hand, the engine locks up before the high part of the cam can act on the bucket. I took my borescope and had a look down the plug holes but couldn't see anything wrong. The only clue was the top of piston no 2 looked slightly shiny as if something had made contact with it. I think we are going to have to pull the head off :( was praying for an easy fix.
Cheers, Phil

Tanz
Senior Poster

Post by Tanz »

MetBlue wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 21:10
Maybe the timing belt has jumped a tooth on the crank.
Check the timing mark alignments.
Tony
Thanks for the reply Tony.
The timing marks all line up - Crank at TDC and the marks on the pulleys. I guess if it had jumped a tooth or 2 and made contact with a valve no matter how slight, we would still have to pull the head to check for damage.
Cheers, Phil

Marten
Regular Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red
Year: 1985

Post by Marten »

Tanz wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 16:38
JB455 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 21:05
Thanks for the reply: The cam belt is intact but very old and overdue to be changed. We removed the inlet manifold and inlet cam cover. All the valves appear to be moving on the inlet side but No 2 cylinder cannot be checked as when turning the engine over by hand, the engine locks up before the high part of the cam can act on the bucket. I took my borescope and had a look down the plug holes but couldn't see anything wrong. The only clue was the top of piston no 2 looked slightly shiny as if something had made contact with it. I think we are going to have to pull the head off :( was praying for an easy fix.

First check for a bent valve is by measuring the valve clearances.

If you presurize the cilinder with the valves closed and the piston at tdc (put the transmission in gear to lock the engine) it should become pretty clear To pressurise make (or buy) something like sparkplug with the guts knocked out and a tyre valve brazed on top.

The spring loaded cam tensioner is a failed design imho