Coolant level sensor

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

Zaphod
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Blue
Year: 1990

Re: Coolant level sensor

Post by Zaphod »

I phoned up LB today to order some bits, and Mike told me that the engine must have at least 20PSI oil pressure to get oil to the cams, and it defiantly has oil at the cams, and it leaked from the inlet cam cover that was not that tight so that's a relief!
Of all the things I have lost I think I miss my mind the most...

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1959 Austin Healey Sprite
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

Zaphod
Senior Poster

Post by Zaphod »

The mechanical oil pressure gauge arrived today, it has been fitted to the car, the news is not good. 5 psi at idle cold with VR1 20w50.. so its all got to come apart again. I have a feeling this was what took the car off the road 21 years ago. I have the original parts that came out of the engine when it was 'rebuilt' one of the jobs was a crank regrind and the old bearings have quiet clearly suffered oil starvation. I am guessing the oil pump lost pressure and that was the result, and the pump issue has not been rectified. Question is it the engine now junk again?

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

You need to dismantle the engine and measure all the bearing clearances very carefully (mains/big ends/cam housings) - that will tell you where the oil is disappearing to. Also measure the oil pump components and compare them to the original spec - look for scoring in the oil pump castings. The engine will defo be saveable - it may just need a proper rebuild with a few new bits.

Pete

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Before tear-down, why not take a tin-opener to the oil filter to look for bearing material.

Similarly, drain the oil and look for metallics there too if none in the oil filter.

If no metallics, then remove, strip, and inspect the oil pump and pick-up pipe olive seal.

I would have expected to hear knocking if the bearings were that bad. Have you heard a knock at all?
Peter K

Zaphod
Senior Poster

Post by Zaphod »

Thats the thing, aside from induction noise its very quiet (I posted a video of it running on the FB group). I took the distributor off today and removed the oil pump housing and took a look, compared to other pumps on other engines it all looks pretty good, no significant wear and the lobes of the rotor look pretty good. I also pushed down on the relief valve, and that moves but it's not difficult to move, in that it only required one finger, is that right? what sort of pressure is it supposed to open at? The O-Ring on the distributor looks fairly flat so not certain how well that would be sealing

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

Zaphod
Senior Poster

Post by Zaphod »

Sadly the mechanical guage confirmed it had just below 5psi at idle cold..

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel