Diff and driveshafts

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Diff and driveshafts

Post by bash »

Just wondered if anyone else gets this. When travelling at low speed over nobbley ground, such as a rough car park my driveshafts rattle in the diff. The output splines are a push fit into the diff case, but, the snap ring doesnt drop into a groove it just expands as it clears the inner diff splines. This leaves about 3mm of movement between the end of the splines and the diff and if you pull/push the whole driveshafts it rattles.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

bash
Senior Poster

Re: Diff and driveshafts

Post by bash »

Ive done a little video, I will post it when I figure out how to from onedrive.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

bash wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 14:59
Ive done a little video, I will post it when I figure out how to from onedrive.

Bash
Don’t think you can embed video into a post. You’re probably best to upload to YouTube and then post a link.

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Heres all the bits from a stripdown of another diff.

If you look on the end of the driveshaft the snap ring is visible.
Looking at the diff, when the shaft is pushed in you can see the ring where there is a gap when the shaft is pushed in. Thats where there is play.
Bash

Oldtimer_Basis
Junior Poster

Post by Oldtimer_Basis »

Btw: Are there Ring & Pinion Sets with a lower Gear-Ratio? When driving on the Autobahn at normal Speed in Top Gear, the Engine revs at bit high with the standard Diff... isn´t it from some Toyota Supra or so?

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Post by AndyC »

Automatics, High compression manual and Low compression manual each had different ratio diff. So, depends what your current one is as to whether another is a suitable option for you.

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

4:1 & 3.9 for manuals. 3.7 for autos, but obviously rare. I could bore you for hours about diffs but the short version is that they are Toyota ma61 celicasupra diffs of 7.5" diameter. The ring and pinions were also fitted into some live axle toyota pickups of the era and again are now very rare.
If you find a 3.7 diff it wont be cheap. Ive got a brand new 3.7 ring and pinion sat on a shelf but Im not sure that I want to sell it yet.

Bash

Oldtimer_Basis
Junior Poster

Post by Oldtimer_Basis »

Oh... and I thought, that a Company as big as Toyota would generate a big Aftermarket... I wonder, what all those Supra-Enthusiasts are doing...
Hmmm... there is still a little bit Room for Tires with a slightly bigger Diameter... I´ll do some Measurements...

Oldtimer_Basis
Junior Poster

Post by Oldtimer_Basis »

Well, that is not a doable Alternative. I´ve got 205/60/14 Tires. 205/70/14 would be the absolute safe Maximum, and that would only generate 7 kph plus @ 3krpm - 102.3 kph with 205/60 and 109.3 kph with 205/70.
Hmmm... I really wonder what all those Supra-Tuners do...

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Same as us really, the later supra is an 8" diff and is totally different so doesnt fit. Some very short diffs can be found aimed at the offroaders but long diffs are rare. Some of the pickups, especially 2wd 4 speeds had longer diffs back in the day and Ive got one of those at 3.56 but a 3.3 were also produced back in the 1980s but they were rare even then and were only sold in south Africa and Australia. Tyres are an easy fix to get a bigger rolling radius and or bigger radius wheels.

Bash

JB455
Junior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by JB455 »

In response to the original question- My '85 started to get a "popping" or "clicking" sound from the rear diff when changing direction late this summer. In an effort to eliminate the easier options, I replaced the seals on the output shafts, as they were leaking anyway, and the noise went away completely. Not sure if it was the popping the shafts out and reseating them that made the difference or if it was the new, tighter fitting seals. Anyway, something to consider.

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Cheers for that. Mines still doing it despite all new seals, its not detrimental just slightly annoying.
Bash

Oldtimer_Basis
Junior Poster

Post by Oldtimer_Basis »

I´ve just got an Idea for the 3mm-Endplay-Problem, but that sure would be a hassle...
What about a 2,9something mm thick Cylinder, that will slip over the Spider-Gear-Shaft. That would keep the Axles in Position and would hinder the Axles from moving inward. Fitting that Cylinder in Place while pushing the Shaft through the Carrier would be an Action for People with a whole lot of Patience, though :?

Oldtimer_Basis
Junior Poster

Post by Oldtimer_Basis »

Oh, and Bash: We are all Geeks and Nerds here. I´m sure you will bore noone here when posting Pages full of cryptic Tech-Talk about Diffs :mrgreen: