Diff and driveshafts

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Re: Diff and driveshafts

Post by bash »

An easier solution is to get the snap ring machined in the correct place within the splines and not just letting the snap ring travel beyond them, I really dont understand why they are so sloppyly located.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Having completed suspension rebuild, I've still got a knock on the rear, most noticeable when turning at mini roundabouts. Noticed this evening I have exactly same float on the output shafts. Moving in and out sounds identical to the knock I'm getting.

Question is "Is the circlip position the cause of the knock, or just where it translates to a noise (effect). Surely Toyota could have eliminated the movement if they wanted to and as far as I can see, the float won't appear as a result of wear. There's telescoping in the CV joint on the drive shaft to account for suspension movement. Could this be a case that when all is new, the CV joint should move much easier than the output shaft, then as the years pass, the output seal and splines free up and the CV tightens ?

Just prompting thoughts and discussion. I need to solve this. The noise this generates on my car is VERY noticeable and passengers (the other half) are always looking for reassurance the back of the cars not about to fall to bits. !!!

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Ive bought a better sterio.....but I can still hear it. More embarrassingly others outside the car can hear it if for instance on a cobbled street at low speed, St Ives in cornwall for instance.
Its on my list for next winter to get a better engineered solution. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

bash wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 23:00
Ive bought a better sterio.....but I can still hear it. More embarrassingly others outside the car can hear it if for instance on a cobbled street at low speed, St Ives in cornwall for instance.
Its on my list for next winter to get a better engineered solution. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Bash
Ah, St Ives, driving past The Sloop in an Excel on the cobbles with all the drinkers outside watching you can be intimidating, especially with the window down as you're close enough to hear someone say, "it's not a Ferrari, it's only. Lotus".
We will be staying in St Ives in September for the Festival, and again over the Christmas week to get away from kids and grandchildren. The Excel will be parked on Smeaton Pier, so must check the handbrake ...
Peter K

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Well, Im visiting in sept too, but not in the Excel this time. Taking the in laws in thier skoda cos its too far for them to drive now.
Watch the pasty pirates (seagulls).

Bash

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

I hope this is what is knocking cos Im going to sort it next winter. I tried my spare LSD diff, it didnt rattle quite as much but the way the side shafts are mounted is exactly the same as the common open diff.
Nothing really visible in the Lsd.
Ive got an open diff in bits so Ive taken a few pics. If you look at the snap ring on the shaft its positioned near the end. There isnt a groove in the planet gears it just clears the end of it and theres about 3mm of play. I think my noise is the outer stub axle hitting the centre pin. One of the pictures shows it away from the pin the other shows it in contact. Theres also an image of the gear without the stub axle in place.

Clear as mud probably, probably needs a pete boole on the job !

Bash

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

If it isnt this thats creating the noise its going to be alot of fuss for nowt, but Ive got 3 1/2 diffs ( long story ) and they all do it.

Bash

Dont worry about the noise, it wont break or let you down. If we drove fast enough we wouldnt hear it anyway. Powerrrrrrrrrr.
I think oldtimers solution of a sleeve is worth investigating.

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Here is my solution (I hope), I carefully measured the play in and out on each stub axle, drilled out the end of of the stub axle and with a very good adhesive glued in a nylon insert. I then cut the insert down until there was only 0.25 mm of clearance and refitted. On the bench the noise has gone. Its impossible for the insert to come out when fitted into the diff. I will let you know if it works when I fit it in the winter.

Bash

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

Could be a great solution Bash - good thinking! Hope it works.

Pete

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Was the play the same with the left and right axle swapped?
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Yes, unfortunately. Just poor location to blame.

Bash

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

Nice solution Bash. I like it.
Will watch with interest if it solves any noises when you fit it.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.