Rough cold running

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Re: Rough cold running

Post by Tanz »

I think this long running saga is finally sorted. It was always going to be something simple. Convinced there was not a vacuum leak, I advanced the ignition so it would start and run. Then when warm adjusted the ignition to 10 degrees, turned the engine off and set the crank at 10 degrees BTDC. Removed the distributor cap and marked the position of the rotor arm and the plate the sensor sits on to see if anything moved as it cooled over night. Nothing did move then it occurred to me the timing belt drives the distributor perhaps I should check in that area. I was surprised to find that when checking the tension of the belt using a Kri-kit that the belt was very slack. (told you at the beginning of this thread that the Excel had been neglected :oops: :shock: ) According to the Tim Engel post I printed out a few years ago a used belt should be at 50 - 52 LBS . Mine was less than 40. Anything less than 45 he says 'park it or drive at your own risk'. So I reset it to just over 50 (hard to be more accurate than that with a Kri-Kit) and the car started with the ignition set at 10 degrees and ticked over - it hasn't done that for a while!
So I can only guess that as the engine warmed up the belt got tighter and moved the ignition into a drivable window?
Moral of the story is check your belt tension on a regular basis and don't assume it won't move.
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Well done Phil!! I've also seen wear in the slot that the woodruff key sits in in the pulley - may be worth checking when you replace the belt.

Pete

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Thinking outside the box ... or should that be thinking outside the dizzy cap?

Brings a new set of possibilities to the diagnostic table.

Well done Phil! 8)
Peter K

Tanz
Senior Poster

Post by Tanz »

Pete Boole wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 18:32
Well done Phil!! I've also seen wear in the slot that the woodruff key sits in in the pulley - may be worth checking when you replace the belt.

Pete
I might change the belt soon as its 3 years and 3 months old - done over 5000 miles. Hope it hasn't stretched because its about to break :shock: I never thought that a belt being slack would have such a strange effect on the timing. Doing the twist test it didn't feel that slack and sounded normal when running. It was only noticeable when i did the Kri-Kit check . Guess I took my eye off the ball concentrating on the M100. How do people look after multiple classics :?: Pay someone I suppose :)
Cheers, Phil

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

One thing to note, is the concentric belt adjuster position ( or whatever it's called).

It should be fitted so that the belt rotation is applying tightening force. get it wrong and the belt rotation could be undoing it.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Tanz
Senior Poster

Post by Tanz »

Hawaiis0 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 19:52
One thing to note, is the concentric belt adjuster position ( or whatever it's called).

It should be fitted so that the belt rotation is applying tightening force. get it wrong and the belt rotation could be undoing it.
I'm pretty sure it is in the right position but will check when fitting the new belt. When I bought the car in 2007 and came to change the belt the previous owner had fitted the tensioner the wrong way round.

For any new owners who are wondering what we are on about see diagram below
Cheers, Phil

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white

Post by bash »

I havnt got any pictures but when my belt tension changed some years ago it was because the plate that the tension bearing is mounted to had developed some stress fractures and it was close to letting go so make sure you check that carefully when you do the belt, I was lucky.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white

Post by bash »

SJ sell the mount, mine had two fractures one of which was halfway across the plate.
https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and- ... E2275F.htm
I suppose the clue here is they actually sell the mount, so logically they must fail. From memory the stress fractures developed from the base of the welds.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

There are also two versions of that mount depending on whether a/c is fitted or not.

Pete