Turbo 2.2lt excel

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

DOC711
Junior Poster
Model: Exce SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1987

Turbo 2.2lt excel

Post by DOC711 »

Firstly I'd like to apologise for my ignorance on this, but I'd like to clarify something. I have read that there is a possibility of engine bay fires in the excel when a turbo is installed. Is that still an issue if the dellortos are replaced with Fuel Injection? Thanks , Kemal

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: Turbo 2.2lt excel

Post by Pete Boole »

Fuel injection largely overcomes the problems of fuel sloshing around but the other problem is associated with the heat in the turbo itself. Where are you thinking of putting it?

Pete

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green

Post by AndyC »

The problem of Dellorts dripping fuel onto the dissy and so forth, are effectively solved by the turbo. There are situations where the dellorts can get too much fuel and it runs through to the airbox and as that's not as precisely sealed as necessary to hold fuel, the fuel then drips, but with a turbo system you'd have a gas-tight plenum (and by gas as compared to liquid- in case somebody thinks I'm using it to mean petrol) in order to hold the high-pressure air going to the engine. No more leak problem (unless you have a poor seal on the plenum or carbs).

DOC711
Junior Poster

Post by DOC711 »

Pete Boole wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 20:31
Fuel injection largely overcomes the problems of fuel sloshing around but the other problem is associated with the heat in the turbo itself. Where are you thinking of putting it?

Pete
Haven’t really thought it through, I just wanted to firstly see if there is a solution.
I have tried to contact lotusbits on email and haven’t rec’d as much as a response. As a result just trying to work out my go faster options. With the time delay I just haven’t been able to call. I have finished my interior, paints looking good, I need a ported head, cam and ss exhaust and I’ll be happy for a while.

DOC711
Junior Poster

Post by DOC711 »

AndyC wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 21:54
The problem of Dellorts dripping fuel onto the dissy and so forth, are effectively solved by the turbo. There are situations where the dellorts can get too much fuel and it runs through to the airbox and as that's not as precisely sealed as necessary to hold fuel, the fuel then drips, but with a turbo system you'd have a gas-tight plenum (and by gas as compared to liquid- in case somebody thinks I'm using it to mean petrol) in order to hold the high-pressure air going to the engine. No more leak problem (unless you have a poor seal on the plenum or carbs).
Cheers Andy

AndyC
Senior Poster

Post by AndyC »

Rather than Turbo on a 2.2l, I'd suggest a few other options.

A belt-driver supercharger, situated near where the air-con would be. My project car had this done but had a fundamental flaw of doing it to a HC NA engine rather than a HC Turbo engine, so couldn't give much boost. It got c210-220 BHP but you should be able to get much more using the much lower compression ratio of a turbo engine.

Keep NA but increase the gas flowing of the head etc. Wtih decent porting all through, a decent exhaust (incl manifold) you should be able to get a fir bit more power out of the 2.2l. The early 2.2s got as far as 215BHP, which you could pretty much equal , but not have turbo lag.

Keep NA, gas flow etc and swap out the crank to go 2.5l (unless Mike at Lotusbits has proven the 2.8l) and associated bits like pistons. Then it's just down to how aggressive you want it to be, 250BHP enough?

Lots of options besides putting a turbo engine in, and most don't have the heat ;et alone the awkwardness of not enough space to easily mount the turbo on the exhaust side of the engine. Somebody (think it was on here) uploaded the file that is Mike Taylor's upgrading your Excel (or whatever the name is), that covers the above options in more detail).

Mike's not great at replying to email because he (I think rightly) has to prioritise 1) Customers there on site, 2) Customers on the telephone there and then, 3) Customers who've sent an email. So, if you can, try to call him.

Andy

DOC711
Junior Poster

Post by DOC711 »

Cheers Andy, certainly would be happy with 250, my car looks super quick on the driveway, so even 210 would feel so different.

I’ll try and call Mike

AndyC
Senior Poster

Post by AndyC »

Here's the link that somebody found for the pdf http://web.archive.org/web/201807140104 ... _lotus.pdf

fueltheburn
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Suzuki Yellow

Post by fueltheburn »

An obligatory heads up.

250 in an excel is a large jump in percentage from 160/180. The other parts you have to upgrade to keep up with that are significant.

The excel is set up as a fast cruiser, changing its character by means of performance requires a change of attitude on the setup. If you don't want to do this I don't see the point in having the extra power. 210 is plenty for most and is within the capability of the standard car except for the brakes as these are Shi... even with standard levels of power. Rear brakes are larger than the fronts which is quite funny as a setup.

Fuelling, brakes, calipers, discs, shocks, springs, suspension rubbers, gearbox mount, engine mounts, propshaft, diff.....etc.
If you want to use it properly of course. This obviously is not a cheap route.