Engine sealants

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Engine sealants

Post by richardw »

I have a few copies of a magazine called Elite Lotus published in the early 90s. In the Winter 1992 issue is this piece by Miles Wilkins detailing which sealants should be used on Lotus engines. Given the extensive discussions about sealing 907 cam covers, maybe this is of some interest:

Cheers, Richard

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: Engine sealants

Post by Pete Boole »

Good post Richard. Although the article calls them cam covers what they are actually talking about is cam housings - the bit under the cover.

Pete

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Thanks Pete - it does specify Silastic for the covers in the list for the 2 litre engines, although the article itself talks about the cover to head seal.

Cheers, Richard

robertverhey
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by robertverhey »

Depends which type of 9 series motor we’re talking about. Both use permaseal for cam carrier to head joint, which compresses to a pre-determined thickness. As for the cam covers, early 907 saddle types need a sealant like silastic, but the later 912 types don’t need any sealant in my experience, just the gasket fitted dry.
Robert Glacier Blue '87 SE

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Post by AndyC »

I thought Lotus moved and started specifying Loctite zero thickness sealer for the cam carrier-head joint.

robertverhey
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by robertverhey »

Sorry my bad, Not permaseal, For cam box to head, I use permabond A136 /loctite 504 or equivalent. The red stuff. It’s not quite zero thickness, from memory you need to do valve clearance shimming “dry”, compensating for its minimal thickness when you do the final assembly.
Robert Glacier Blue '87 SE

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Post by AndyC »

Yep that's the stuff, they call it zero thickness but as you rightly state it isn't. When I've pulled them apart there are places that seem to be almost devoid of sealant, so I guess it can be a thou' or less in places which is a darn sight easier to allow for than a paper gasket that used to be specified in early engines.