Gearbox Rebuild

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: Gearbox Rebuild

Post by Pete Boole »

I can't see them either.

Pete

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

Pretty sure no one can.
What goes together.... Must come apart.

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

rbgosling wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 09:37
More disassembly on Tuesday. Got the front cover off, and removed the rails and forks. Got the 5th gear assembly off the countershaft no problem with my basic 2-arm puller.

The next step, according to the video, is to move the reverse gear off its splines on the main shaft, which will give access to the screws holding in the retainer plate for the main shaft. He did this by whacking the end of the main shaft - see from 26:20 in the video. Well, this didn't work for me, the reverse gear stayed stubbornly put with no sign of movement at all after several enthusiastic whacks with a lump hammer.

Fortunately I have made a friend via a local classic car Facebook group, he lent me the engine hoist and also has a hydraulic press he is willing to lend. I'll need it anyway to get the 5th gear off the main shaft, so hopefully I can find a way to use it to shift the reverse gear too. That's the next plan, for Wednesday.

In the third photo, see the amount of rust on the bolt that broke while splitting the gearbox, still sticking out of the front housing (at the back of the workbench). Odd this, as the other 8 were clean as a whistle. But if this is what stopped the bolt turning then there may still be a chance of getting it out - I'll give it a try.
Here are the photos from Post 5 again. Hope you can see them this time. My photos are hosted on Google Photos - dunno if it makes a difference if the viewer has a Google account and if they are logged into it?? Can you see all the photos on the other posts? I can still see the photos on Post 5, but maybe that's just me 'cos they're my photos...

"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

It's all back together!

Initially a slight hiccup - the gear changer was jammed, which necessitated taking the rear cover off again. Turns out the rail for 5th/reverse was pushed by the rear cover when it went on, putting the 'box in reverse, but with the selector in the wrong position. After a few tries it kept doing this. The trick that worked for me was to
  • Get the casing in position with about 1" to go
  • Move the gear selector so it's in the 5th/reverse rail (to the left, as viewed from the back of the 'box)
  • Use a soft mallet to tap the casing in a few mm. This will inevitably move the 5th/reverse rail along a bit too
  • Tap the gear selector a bit towards the rear of the 'box, so the rail is back where it should be in neutral. Wiggle the selector side to side to confirm
  • Repeat until the casing is fully in place. Only takes 3 or 4 rounds.
Putting a bit of oil on the end of the rail to help it slip into its hole probably helps too.

Then I got the bell housing back on, clutch fork and (new) release bearing back in, and bolt it all up to the engine!

It'll be a few days before I can drop it back in the car - I found two exhaust manifold studs were missing when I pulled the engine out. I ordered some replacements off eBay, they turned out to be too long. For some bizarre reason the length used to describe them in the listing included the long threaded end and the unthreaded middle, but not the short threaded end - who defines a stud length that doesn't include the full length??? So those are on their way back to the seller, some new ones are on their way, but delivery of almost anything takes a week at the moment.

"Farmer" Richard

hodders
Senior Poster
Model: Excel Celebration
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1992

Post by hodders »

Off-topic - and none of my business anyway - but are you really wearing red nail varnish in the first few photos?
-- hodders

1992 Lotus Excel Celebration, Calypso Red
2021 BMW i3s, Blue Ridge Mountain
2020 Jaguar I-Pace, Eiger Grey

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

Maybe it's blood :!: :!:
I rarely complete a job on a car without a quick blood test.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

hodders wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:56
Off-topic - and none of my business anyway - but are you really wearing red nail varnish in the first few photos?
What happens in lockdown, stays in lockdown. Unless you accidentally share it with the nation on a permanent internet forum...

(I have two small boys, too young to have bought into the "social norms" that say nail varnish is only for girls, or goths. Sometimes it is fun to indulge them!)
"Farmer" Richard

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

hodders wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:56
At least that proves someone can see my photos!!
"Farmer" Richard

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

We're Done!!!

The exhaust manifold studs arrived on Saturday, but I was too busy having fun with the kids to get any engine work done. Sunday the studs went in, then the engine/gearbox went back into the car, with the assistance of wife and both children! Good fun trying to line up three gearbox mounts, propshaft and exhaust manifold-to-downpipe all at the same time...

Rest of the afternoon, and a little of Monday morning, connecting up everything and getting the carbs on and topping up with six different fluids. Fired up first time (let the 4-y-o have the privilege of turning the key), and a quick test drive up and down the lane showed no tendency to jump out of gear - all good!!

Now I just need to give it a wash, then put it away until I get to drive it to work again, whenever that happens...

Proof of running!
"Farmer" Richard

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

You're becoming a dab-hand at this engine removal and replacement thing! :D
Peter K

Ray-s
Regular Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: calypso red
Year: 1988

Post by Ray-s »

It must have been handy having the kids to help and advise you :wink: ...
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Ray...
Why is there always bits left over ?

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

Well done! Sounds like you've sorted it!

Pete

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Great job and excellent post. Hopefully it won’t need to come out again until the kids are old enough to do it for you. :D

Zag
Regular Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Ice Blue
Year: 1986

Post by Zag »

rbgosling wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 08:18
We're Done!!!

The exhaust manifold studs arrived on Saturday, but I was too busy having fun with the kids to get any engine work done. Sunday the studs went in, then the engine/gearbox went back into the car, with the assistance of wife and both children! Good fun trying to line up three gearbox mounts, propshaft and exhaust manifold-to-downpipe all at the same time...

Do you have a link to the correct studs? Noticed a couple of mine are missing and don't want to buy the wrong ones. Ta.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

I bought stainless exhaust studs plus new nuts for my 89SE from Gary Kemp - see link below (then go to his ebay shop perhaps)..

Gary Kemp link
Peter K