Gearbox Rebuild?

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: Gearbox Rebuild?

Post by Pete Boole »

I'd be surprised if you need new gears - it's the other bits on the shafts that often cause the problem - synchro/dog rings. Defo worth putting some very good synthetic oil in there as a starting point though - may just help the synchro rings engage more fully in the first place.

Pete

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

Pete Boole wrote:I'd be surprised if you need new gears - it's the other bits on the shafts that often cause the problem - synchro/dog rings. Defo worth putting some very good synthetic oil in there as a starting point though - may just help the synchro rings engage more fully in the first place.

Pete
Good point Pete, you could well be right, synchro is what it feels like to me. And that rebuild kit from the US that Bash linked to does include syncro rings, so may turn out to be all I need.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

bash wrote:This seems a good deal.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-W55-W ... 1555771852

Bash
This guy in Devon wants £550 for essentially the same rebuild kit that the American seller is doing for $100 :lol: Even with the postage that makes the American kit an absolute bargain.
"Farmer" Richard

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

bash wrote:This seems a good deal.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-W55-W ... 1555771852

Bash
This guy in Devon wants £550 for essentially the same rebuild kit that the American seller is doing for $100 :lol: Even with the postage that makes the American kit an absolute bargain.
"Farmer" Richard

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Pm coming thro, but for everyones info, another source of bits...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Manual- ... 2130700641

The plastic cup at the base of the gearlever disintegrate, I made my own out of a piece of nylon block but here is another supplyer from down under, who also do a quickshift for the box.
https://cubespeed.com.au/shop?olsFocus= ... e=products

The little plastic bush on the base of the gearlever can be obtained from SJs, but the cup is a little more difficult to get hold of.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

"Farmer" Richard

shaunw
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit GT3
Colour: CALYPSO

Post by shaunw »

bash wrote:Pm coming thro, but for everyones info, another source of bits...

The plastic cup at the base of the gearlever disintegrate, I made my own out of a piece of nylon block but here is another supplyer from down under, who also do a quickshift for the box.

The little plastic bush on the base of the gearlever can be obtained from SJs, but the cup is a little more difficult to get hold of.

Bash
Those short shifters look great. I'd love one for my car but two things put me off. I know you can access the lever casing from Inside the car but I'm not sure you if can delve deep enough from the top to fit the kit. And unless I'm being a humpty it is t clear from their website which one would fit the Excel . I believe the Celica had a different gear leaver - could be wrong

shaunw
Senior Poster

Post by shaunw »

[quote="bash"]Pm coming thro, but for everyones info, another source of bits...

Bash[/quote

Richard

The nylon cup and delrin seat were both available from my local Toyota dealer a couple of years ago. I'd highly recommend you change it as it's practically a service part, it's cheap and it will sharpen up your gear change. The detent springs and balls are available too. About 12 quid so well worth changing.

Shaun.

shaunw
Senior Poster

Post by shaunw »

I'd be interested to see how you get on with some parts like selector rods and gears Richard. I couldnt locate those anywhere when I was looking, I bought a rebuild kit like the one in the video and added a couple.of smaller items like detent springs which I obtained from my Toyota dealer but couldnt find much else.

Shaun

shaunw
Senior Poster

Post by shaunw »

Pete Boole wrote:I'd be surprised if you need new gears - it's the other bits on the shafts that often cause the problem - synchro/dog rings. Defo worth putting some very good synthetic oil in there as a starting point though - may just help the synchro rings engage more fully in the first place.

Pete
What are the advantages of synthetic gearbox oil Pete?

Shaun

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

It's just soooo slippery! In the past I have had great success restoring the smoothness of the change in a couple of different boxes using very good synthetic oil - often synthetic ATF. It seems to be better in lower temperatures as well. I ran the Tremec in the Excel on Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

Pete

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

shaunw wrote:I'd be interested to see how you get on with some parts like selector rods and gears Richard. I couldnt locate those anywhere when I was looking, I bought a rebuild kit like the one in the video and added a couple.of smaller items like detent springs which I obtained from my Toyota dealer but couldnt find much else.

Shaun
I'm hoping Pete is right and it's the synchro ring that is the problem. In this case I will just replace what comes in the kit, i.e. syncro rings, bearings, gaskets, and otherwise keep the existing components. If it gets worse that that, I'll look for replacements for other components, but I will be prepared to swallow my enthusiasm for keeping the original gearbox and just fit a good used one instead.
"Farmer" Richard

fueltheburn
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Suzuki Yellow
Year: 1987

Post by fueltheburn »

Hi Richard

Just seen this. The kits from gear 5th are what I bought in bulk a while back. The kit comes with a fair amount but you will need ore than is in that kit (sold them quickly). When you pull the internals from the box you will likely find the 3-4 shift fork is cracking and has worn.
The rebuild on Ethel's gearbox highlighted this. There is a picture somewhere where I have highlighted this issue.
I have one brand new 3-4 shift fork left and I may have some of the Delron cup and sockets for the gearbox. If I don't have any of the gear lever cup an sockets I will put in a new order that will also include the rubber cover that goes on the gearbox around the clutch fork as these deteriorate and crack badly.

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

Thanks Kieran - some of those could be really useful. I'll know once I've pulled the gearbox which bits look like they need replacing.

I take it by the Delron cup and socket you mean A089F8154F - part A001 in the Gear Selector page of the parts manual?

The rubber cover you refer to is A089Q8012F - part A020 on the Clutch page?

Does anyone know if it's possible to source the rubber gaiter that goes around the bottom of the gearlever - B075U6039K - part A049 on the Gear Selector page - mine was in pieces when I pulled the engine/gearbox for the engine rebuild, but I never replaced it at the time.
"Farmer" Richard

fueltheburn
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Suzuki Yellow
Year: 1987

Post by fueltheburn »

You can get the rubber gear gaiter but last time I got one it was sourced internationally