convoluted tubing near rear most carb

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

Makse
Verified Poster
Model: Eclat Excel
Colour: Blue
Year: 1983

convoluted tubing near rear most carb

Post by Makse »

Firstly I forgot to take a photo :(

I have found some convoluted tubing hanging lose in the engine bay with one end connected to the engine next to the rear most carb. It's about 1 inch diameter.

Where does the other end connect to ???

Also the oil breather tube from the cam cover goes to atmosphere as the car has K&N filters. What the best solution for this ??

cheers

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Re: convoluted tubing near rear most carb

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Not sure, but the 1 inch diameter "convoluted tube " could be the hot air start from the air box -... but I thought those were only on the later cars.

The breather is usually sourced at the crankcase (below rearward carb) - not the cambox. ...but the best solution for the orphaned breather is to refit the the original air box, then fit a proper full width K&N panel filter to the OE airbox!

Apart from getting hooked on increased "induction roar", there is nothing brilliant to be gained by ditching the OE air box for OPEN K&Ns. The DHLA carbs are factory jetted and tuned for a plenum airbox which give a more consistent induction air temperature. DHLA's are fixed jet carbs so they depend on a consistent air intake temps all year round if you want consistent driveability summer /winter and during the warm-up phase. The later cars have a hot air box on the exhaust downpipe for this reason...it ensures the air is quickly warmed during cold starts.
Peter K

Makse
Verified Poster

Post by Makse »

Thanks for the info, it must be that then.

The car did not come with the original air box.

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

This might help - you can probably ignore all the emissions control F pipe stuff, but the vacuum take-offs would be worth checking against you car.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5873
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

Makse
Verified Poster

Post by Makse »

Thanks Alan will compare to what I have. One thing I do know is that the dizzy on the car has no vacuum take off.

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

Makse wrote:Thanks Alan will compare to what I have. One thing I do know is that the dizzy on the car has no vacuum take off.
That's normal for the non-SE.
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

Jason.goad
Senior Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red should be black
Year: 1985

Post by Jason.goad »

On early cars the engine breather system was very basic. The tube connected to the engine sounds like its part of that engine breather system. It should be an elbow about 3 inches long that goes to the bottom of the air filter box. The one from the cam cover also goes to the air filter box. I presume someone has replaced it with convoluted tube. Maybe someone with K+N pancake filters will let you know the best way of routing the breather pipe work. Think it's normally a catch tank.

Makse
Verified Poster

Post by Makse »

I have been reading elsewhere that some people have just routed them under the car out of the way.