Exhaust-modify or not?

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

TonyL
Junior Poster
Model: Excel/Elite project
Colour: Red/Red (for now)

Re: Exhaust-modify or not?

Post by TonyL »

@Jazzy: I received an email from admin telling me you'd sent me a message (& your message was included in the email). When I logged in to lotusexcel.net, there was no message to reply to.

Maybe you could try to get in touch with me via TLF (I have the same user name) or just send another message with your email, & if this is forwarded by admin again, I'll be able to email you.

Oldtimer_Basis
Junior Poster

Re: Exhaust-modify or not?

Post by Oldtimer_Basis »

Generally speaking, Stainless Steel is a very hard material, that doesn´t soak up high pitch Noise. That generates a kind of "Trumpet Sound" at high revs, but it doen´t sound very well at low revs. Mild Steel is comparatively soft, so it absorbs high pitch Noise, which results in a more bassy growl through the rpm-range. Using Cherry-Bomb-Style-Dampers instead of the normal ones is a good Way to make your Car loud and filtering out high pitch Noise. Standard Cast-Steel-Manifolds are comparatively quiet and are filtering out a lot of bass, so a stainless-Steel-Header would still be better than that - soundwise.

Oh, by the Way:
I´m driving around for quite some Time now with my "DIY-All-Mild-Steel-Exhaust", with the Header still wrapped in this Copper-Heat-Wrap - an I still haven´t got any Problems with rust...

Greetz,
Raf